Downtown_Entrance.png

Interesting concept as described in that article.

Having a raised floor system to allow freedom to move bathrooms and kitchens around is great, but the loss in ceiling height and added cost of costruction may mean higher s.f. costs. With higher pricing means that purchasing multiple units may be cost prohibited to many. Also having the raised flooring for plumbing will be a maintanence nightmare when leaks and plumbing problems occur.
This concept would mean many of these units will be bought for investment/rentals, which may not please homeowner-occupants. Likewise, tenants may find it scary to know that their landlord is living next door.
Condo fees may also be costly to homeowners who purchase multiple units, as usually the landlord is usually responsible in paying these fees.

It will be interesting to see how this building plays out.

Sales (pre-sales anyways) have indeed started. VIP Broker Event today as a sneak peak. Prices are just below $600 psf.

Also having the raised flooring for plumbing will be a maintanence nightmare when leaks and plumbing problems occur.

Why? Wouldn't it be easier to repair since they're not buried in walls?

Why? Wouldn't it be easier to repair since they're not buried in walls?

I lived in a building that had persistant plumbing problems, the leaks were easy to find as they occured inside the walls and in the ceilings which caused the drywall to sag or deform. If a leak were to form inside the floors under a raised flooring system, the concrete slab would act like a shower pan while the raised flooring would be above the leak.

Actually today I visited the sales office and the raised flooring system that was touted in newspaper articles were extremely downplayed at the sales centre, to the point it was never mentioned. I had to ask about and even explain it to one of the sales people there as even they didn't know much about it. The raised flooring system is also dumbed-down in the unit design as it only occurs in a small portion of the unit. It only happens at the foyer, bathrooms and some closets, which creates one or two level changes within the unit.
Back to plumbing issues I think it wouldn't be an issue here as if a leak were to occur I'm sure it will seep into the areas that do not have the raised flooring thus signifying a leak before the problem becomes serious.

I am not to fond of the level changes as it creates an awkward two steps up to the bathroom and some closets from the bedroom right at the door opening. It allows for some flexibility to move plumbing within the raised portions of the unit, but you will still need to build up a platform if you want to move plumbing to the areas that are not raised. I am not really buying into this raised flooring system, as you could later build a platform in any condo unit to run the plumbing laterally -- not the most elegant solution as you lose ceiling height and creating awkward level changes.

Otherwise it is a nice development in a nice quiet neighborhood. The selling prices are reasonable (they are offering a discount equivilant to 18 months of condo fees, free assignments and renting at occupancy only until the end of the November), the finishes are tasteful and nice, and the building is nicely scaled with less than 90 units. I'd like to see more balconies on the prime southern park-facing units (most of them only have juliet balconies).

Last edited:
How many parking spots have been proposed? I haven't seen anything on that. Just wondering if they were trying to minimize parking spots like sorbara is doing on Camden (I believe only 9 spots in that building).

New sign popped up.

Pic taken August 12, 2011

OFTjM.jpg

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 1E3

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 288242 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Oct 7, 2011

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a 11 sty condo with 91 dwelling units. See 3 demo permits (508, 512, and 516 wellington St W). 508-516 WELLINGTON ST W.

I wonder what's going to happen to all the mature trees on the property?

Very likely they'll be cut down. It's funny how stringent the city is about home owners cutting trees down on their own property, but when it comes to development it happens all the time.

Back