Pic taken Oct 24, 2012

o7plp.jpg

does anybody know why there is such a large space in front of the buildings on this stretch of wellington? it seems rather pointless and I can't quite figure out why it would be there.

does anybody know why there is such a large space in front of the buildings on this stretch of wellington? it seems rather pointless and I can't quite figure out why it would be there.

That's how the street was originally laid out. That space offers an opportunity for building a linear park running between Clarence Square and Victoria memorial Square, and does so in a part of the city where there is very little public outdoor expanse. That so-called "useless" space offers up a welcome stretch of pedestrian space that is distanced from street traffic, and as such, it is quite valuable. This is a very deep block, so the wide spacing and generous opportunity for large trees is a positive physical asset.

Not everything has to be developed, streetwalled and soopertalled.

While I don't necessarily disagree with it, I am wondering its history. the provision for that space has obviously been there for over a century as every building on the street follows it, but yet that preserved space is largely just parking lots (at least on the south side) I thought it might be for a linear park, but it surprises me that the city has never capitalized on this over the 100+ years this provision seems to have existed for.

and believe me, I would never wish a skyscraper on this street, or at least anything much over 20 floors.

It's a bit creepy down there at night, but yeah, I'd ultimately live down there.

Wellington is a bit creepy at night ?! ... That's a first ... its a very quiet street !

Wellington is a bit creepy at night ?! ... That's a first ... its a very quiet street !

Yeah, I think it is a bit. It depends on far west you are. But Victoria Memorial Park definitely has some sketchies at night, and following Wellington to Niagara and north gets creepy.

Are you serious? The most sketchie people in VMS are the pajama-clad dog-walkers or the out-of-neighbourhood people trying to figure out how to get back home from a night at a local club. Both Wellington and Niagara west of Bathurst are nice residential streets.

Yeah, I'm being serious. A lot of robberies around Niagara/Queen/King, and let's not forget that terrible double murder a few years ago at Richmond/Niagara. Sure, not a patterned occurrence, but still--I find it sketchy.

Perhaps I'm a nancy.

Well, to each their own. I've lived in this part of town for about ten years, and as far as it goes, I've never felt as if in any danger. However, go back a few years on a Friday and Saturday night on the other side of Spadina, and you were always at risk of accidentally wandering into a nightclubber fight or being projectile-vomited on.

Back