Japantown is self explanatory, I don't think you need to get more complicated just because other cities have them too. I can't think of any ethnic enclaves in the city that don't follow the ____town or Little ____ formula.
Yes, and not conforming to the same old, same old, is bad because?

India Bazaar on Gerrard.
I'm still trying to call it the Gerrard India Bazaar. Most people I know have been referring to it as Little India since forever. The thing is, the Indian flavour of the hood is itself changing up over the past five years or so. Art galleries, indy coffee shops, Thai restos, a couple of pubs, a cheese shop, a brewpub apparently on its way.... there's still lots of the Indian grocery clothing and restaurants but there is definitely a new mix happening. Anyway, it's definitely BIA branding.

I'm against using terms that are already used in other cities. We need a name, that when you hear it, you instantly know it's Toronto's Japanese area. Forget about terms like Japantown, San Francisco already has dibs to that name. We need something unique and different, for all our new districts. We need to stop copying everyone else and develop our own unique names, districts and everything else, instead of just taking the easy way out.

By the way, Regent Park is mainly Ethiopian/Somalian/Muslim now and not so much African-Canadian.

Ethiopia and Somalia are in Africa though, and there are many Muslims in Africa.

From today
NordstromMarch26.jpg

Attachments

• NordstromMarch26.jpg
    NordstromMarch26.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 1,355
That Lotte World Mall example is mind-blowingly bad. It reminds me of a contemporary version of that mind-blowingly bad Hudson Bay complex we have at Yonge and Bloor

I didn't get any pictures but the street level facade is a very nice high quality stone. This is going to dramatically change the look of Yonge Street.

Workers were finishing some small details like lighting strips. Looks like they're about ready to wrap up on the exterior work. I wonder if they'll take down the hoardings and uncover the Nordstrom reno ahead of its opening which is only supposed to happen this Fall.

I didn't get any pictures but the street level facade is a very nice high quality stone. This is going to dramatically change the look of Yonge Street.

Workers were finishing some small details like lighting strips. Looks like they're about ready to wrap up on the exterior work. I wonder if they'll take down the hoardings and uncover the Nordstrom reno ahead of its opening which is only supposed to happen this Fall.

I just wonder how long it will be before they are looking for someone to take over from Nordstrom. If Target couldn't survive Canada what chance does Nordstrom and Sax Fifth Avenue have?

I just wonder how long it will be before they are looking for someone to take over from Nordstrom. If Target couldn't survive Canada what chance does Nordstrom and Sax Fifth Avenue have?

Target is irrelevant since it was a unique situation. It had nothing to do with the Canadian market. They made a series of business mistakes that sank them. The failure of Target tells us nothing about the possible success or failure of other US retailers.

Target is irrelevant since it was a unique situation. It had nothing to do with the Canadian market. They made a series of business mistakes that sank them. The failure of Target tells us nothing about the possible success or failure of other US retailers.

I just don't see why we need overpriced US retailers her in Canada.

I just don't see why we need overpriced US retailers her in Canada.
It's not like we have much of a choice in the matter. It's either we get US retailers or international retailers, since the trend with Canadian retailers recently has been either: a) Get bought out by an American company or b) Go bankrupt and liquidate

It's not like we have much of a choice in the matter. It's either we get US retailers or international retailers, since the trend with Canadian retailers recently has been either: a) Get bought out by an American company or b) Go bankrupt and liquidate

true but they don't need to be priced ridiculously, as the link I provided. 52 dollars for a single pair of underwear is ridiculous no mater what brand it is.

There are some expensive pieces on that page, for sure, but there is no pair for $52, and most are quite a bit cheaper than that. If someone wants to spring for $45 Paul Smith boxers, that's up to them, but no, those won't be bought by most.

Back