That cat is awesome. I hope it doesn't have to be outside in the cold though. I'll take cat in a sweater over religious people any day.
Unless the cat decided to proselytize passersby into worshipping Bast, the Egyptian cat goddess.
I've seen the Jesus guy place a cross around the cat's neck, so we may well end up seeing something of the like!

Roots is complete. I like the variation of store fronts on Yonge. It helps make the street wall more human scale rather than the one big monolithic mall that existed before.

Unfortunately Nordstrom made its stretch worse by closing all but one of the previous SEARS doors. Luckily, it's not as extensive and the mystery store at Yonge/Dundas will help break this stretch down a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 294
Was having a dig through the Lightroom catalog and found this pic back from when it was still Sears:

DSC_2974.jpg

Who is taking up the 4th floor now?

Attachments

• DSC_2974.jpg
    DSC_2974.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 828
If I'm not mistaken, I recall that the old Eaton Store had 7 or 8 floors of shopping(!) I recall there were a lot more escalators than just three floors. Fun childhood memories.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall that the old Eaton Store had 7 or 8 floors of shopping(!) I recall there were a lot more escalators than just three floors. Fun childhood memories.

Started as 10 floors. Was 9 floors when Eaton's went bankrupt the first time.

I remember being amazed by all those floors of retail as a child. The store just seemed to keep going up.

They were competing with Simpsons at Queen Street (now the Bay), which has seven floors of retail to this day.

Last edited:
I believe what's now the urban eatery was also once one of the floors of the Eaton store. It extended much higher and lower than Nordstrom.

From what I remember, the 7th or 8th floor was the Warehouse floor, with offices being on the top floors.

I'm probably wrong though, it was a long time ago.

7 Floors above, 3 below at time of opening.

3rd below was gone (soon to become level zero/urban eatery) by the time I have a real memory of the place.

When Sears took over they shrunk it to 5 above, 1 below, initially; if memory servers.

Subsequently shrinking it more.

Nordstrom is not only down to 3 levels, all above, it occupies maybe 1/2 the footprint of the former store on those floors.

This store was over 1,000,000 sq ft when it opened (as Eatons). Today its only , 220,000 sq ft or about 20% of the size of the original store.

From what I remember, the 7th or 8th floor was the Warehouse floor, with offices being on the top floors.

I'm probably wrong though, it was a long time ago.

I have no idea where the offices were located once the old Main Store was demolished - presumably on an upper storey(s) of the new store. In 1992, the Eaton's offices moved to 250 Yonge (then called Eaton Tower). A skywalk was built, connecting the 6th floor of Eaton Tower to the 6th floor of the store - a skywalk which is still there, even despite the massive renovations that have taken place in the old department store space in the last couple of years. Elevators in both elevator banks at 250 Yonge (even the elevator bank for the upper floors that wouldn't otherwise have normally stopped at the 6th floor) had buttons that would take you to the Eaton's store, even if one didn't work in the Eaton's offices.

Back