Not sure if this rendering was ever posted or that the plan has 2 phases - the south end now underway (Queen to centre court) ... and the north end starting in March 2023. Apologies if posted earlier.

TEC_Galleria_Image1_1-822x1024.jpg

Storeys (from Zeidler Architecture Inc. (CNW Group/Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited)

I had the same experience growing up. My mom often took me there as a kid, and it always felt like an adventure. The cafeteria with the dark nautical theme was great. I miss the affordable Anglo comfort food you could get there (good luck trying to find any downtown now). I usually went for the roast beef with gravy. The toy section on the 7th level was indeed epic beyond words, as you mentioned. Multiple large action displays featuring all the latest products from the most awesome brands of the day, Transformers, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, and my personal favourite, Masters of the Universe, among many others. Nobody puts in efforts like that anymore. Sigh...

The cafeteria also had a lot of light thanks to the large windows. And like you I'd go with roast beef, with a side of mashed potatoes and a dinner roll. Very unpretentious. :)

One other thing that stuck with me about the toy section was they had a cool video game section. Back then, video games were mostly targeted towards kids, so everything had to be eye catching and in your face. I vividly remember seeing a televisions built into a wall, each with an NES warmly lit with red light. The new game being featured was Super Mario Bros. 2. Today, assuming you're even let test the games out, the display is much more sterile, like you're playing in your living room. But back then, it felt like you were on a spaceship.

And that kind of speaks to how the Eaton Centre changed over the years. It almost felt...optimistic? It was modern, and yet not sterile. It was bright and had lots of greenery. While I'm sure it would have felt dated today, it had heart and character, and its architecture would let you know what era it was from. 20 years from now, what will people think of when they look back on the Eaton Centre? That the 2000's were non descript?

Normally we don't do archival material in the building threads, but instead post that in the photo threads. However, I just saw an image on Facebook, in the Friends Who Like Vintage Toronto group that I think merits an exception.

Its a photo...............of a painting..........of the excavation for Toronto Eaton Centre. First, the caption:

1665513419472.png

Now the pic/painting:

1665513451702.png

I may be mistaken but I could have swore he got banned for something.

I may be confusing him with someone else.
There have been a few notable regulars who are not posting here since I started lurking a few years back. Maybe some of those ran into the wrong end of Mr. 42's banhammer. Or maybe they just don't want to post here anymore. Etc...so who knows?

...more on topic though, hows the glass roof coming? Hope CF are not pulling another 401 Bay with it! >.<

He sure showed us

Back