Definitely. A few years ago, I didn't own a single pair of running shoes and I wouldn't have been caught dead in public wearing a t-shirt, and now I couldn't be bothered with dress clothes.
I abandoned formal clothes ages ago. Anything with a collar is just uncomfortable to me now and looks dated.

Could they build a tower on that side?
First of all, there is already, built into the original Eaton Centre base building structure, provision for an additional tower at the south-east end of the site. Footings and structural columns up to the top parking garage floor level on the Yonge Street side are already in place.

My understanding is that in order to proceed with the additional tower, CF wanted to allocate some of the existing parking spots as a private parking area for the tenants / residents of the new tower - which would have required a release from some of the lease covenants in place with the existing Eaton Centre retail tenants. Release from these covenants was not forthcoming, so CF did not, and has not proceeded to date, with the already approved and infrastructure in place tower.

Given these issues, the likelihood of a net new tower, in an area where there would be so many structural and other infrastructure issues , would have to be pretty low.

Anchors are a thing of the past unless it's Walmart🤮 An Eaton Centre Walmart would probably do extremely well. All these Walmart's are absolutely enormous and they are always busy. And there is so many stores around!

Anchors are a thing of the past unless it's Walmart🤮 An Eaton Centre Walmart would probably do extremely well. All these Walmart's are absolutely enormous and they are always busy. And there is so many stores around!

Walmart is actually an ingenious idea however it would not suit the mall.

It works in Square One where there is nothing else around but with all the other high and mid range stores in the area I can see it not going over well. I can already hear the cries of lowered revenue and property values.

10 Dundas East is probably a better fit - heck they don't even need a renovation.

AoD

10 Dundas East is probably a better fit - heck they don't even need a renovation.

AoD

On the upside, this wouldn't make the complex much worse; on the downside, it wouldn't really improve it either.

Then again, I'm in favour abolishing Wal-Mart which I see as a plague on civil society.

Perhaps a flagship Zellers as part of their triumphant return to Canada lol

1677865641967.png

Taken from: https://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2023/03/nordstrom-closing-toronto-suggesting-replacements/

Back