I know the eye has been on Old City Hall for this, but p'haps The Museum Of Toronto could be fit in neatly. Or a branch of the National Gallery or Vancouver Art Gallery for example.
Richard White's mention of a big IMAX theatre has some appeal - though that would entail some heavy alterations. Some more big-screen theatres downtown would definitely be a plus. If that route was taken, there's no reason why a small multi-purpose theatrical space couldn't be included. Well, hell, the possibilities are pretty vast.
Basically, instead of simply going for more retail, it'd be interesting to see if that space couldn't also become something more variegated in use, more cultural and social - and interesting.

Speaking of, I can't wait to besmirch the uppity Ace Hotel with them once biking weather returns ;)

Oh, I so did not need that image; thank goodness I wasn't eating lunch.

LOL

Count Frightenstein in booty shorts.

Gah!

I mentioned this in the Nordstrom thread, but does Crate and Barrel have any interest in opening a downtown store? Perhaps not taking over the entire existing store but half of it.

Not sure what the future holds for Muji at the Atrium considering the redevelopment plans. But maybe they could be interested in taking the other half of the Nordstrom store?

Or Sporting Life.

I mentioned this in the Nordstrom thread, but does Crate and Barrel have any interest in opening a downtown store? Perhaps not taking over the entire existing store but half of it.

Not sure what the future holds for Muji at the Atrium considering the redevelopment plans. But maybe they could be interested in taking the other half of the Nordstrom store?

Or Sporting Life.

I honestly can't say about either one; but what I can say is that the two together arent' near big enough to assume the entire Nordstrom space.

You're talking 30,000-40,000ft2 for each, for flagship locations. Lets round up, that's still only 80,000ft2; the Nordstsrom TEC space is 220,000ft2

Yes, I am not even sure Simons can fill all that space. I can see Simons maybe taking 2 floors and the third floor goes into the pool of leasable office space. What a difference to when Eaton's was 10 floors of shopping. (Or maybe convert the main level to further mall retail and use the escalators to have a Simons on floors 2 and 3).

And please, Simons, if you do come on down, take the store (interior and exterior) as is. Add your signage, maybe a few splashes of colour. But please....I am not looking forward to 2 years of renovations again. It feels like yesterday that we were waiting for the Yonge Street facade to be finished.
Simons, it looks fine. No one cares. Have decent goods at decent prices and everyone will be happy. And you just have to replace the Nostrum's sign.

Yes, I am not even sure Simons can fill all that space.

It probably couldn't they typically top out at about 120,000ft2; they could build a flagship; but I still don't see it getting anywhere near 220,000ft2

And please, Simons, if you do come on down, take the store (interior and exterior) as is.

I'm fascinated by this take.

I dislike what Nordstrum did with the space. Sears wasn't good either, of course. The last time I thought the space well laid out was the last incarnation of Eaton's.

I found Norstrom's choices for the store deprived it of a sense of specialness.

It's not that they chose cheap finishes; but I thought they managed to make it feel too cozy and insufficiently grand; it didn't feel inviting to be to walk through and browse without a specific purpose.

That aside, I don't think the current looks really fits Simons asethetic.

Back