This location is about 1/2 the size of the one on Bloor, so I think it should be able to hold its own. I haven't seen a break down on resto space vs 'grocery' but TEC is light on resto space so I think there's a reasonable prospect for them to do quite well here.
Hmm I guess it depends how they're going to split the restaurant space and grocery space. The restaurant space that was previously here (Habitant at Nordstrom) did not do well at all. Of course it's no Eataly, but the numbers there were abysmal. Interestingly enough, the Nordstrom E-bar was very popular so we can take what we can from all that.

I am given to understand that:

Simons will be almost non-existent on the second floor, its just an escalator landing a bit extra. The second floor is mostly Eataly and Nike.

Simons is mainly on the 1st and 3rd floors.

Eataly is mostly on two, but with a street level presence as well.

There's still a lot of design work left to do on the interior spaces........ but the basic shape is workable.
I've definitely got to get my hands on that floor plan as soon as they finalize the concept, i'm very curious to see how it would all flow.

The Yonge St. facade on the other hand.............I wish the proposed treatment were different.
I've long given up on the Yonge facade, the Sears treatment was the best it will have ever have looked. Ever since Cadillac Fairview made the decision to hack up the north-east quadrant and allow Uniqlo and Samsung to have their mess signage, I knew it was over. Speaking of which, i'm sure they're deeply regretting hacking up the space in the way that they did.

I can now reveal..............

The new anchor tenant in the former Nordstrom box at TEC is Simons.

In addition to Simons and Eataly, Nike will also be taking space here.

The new Simons is 110,000 ft2

While Nike is taking 18,000 ft2

Rendering of the new facade of the TEC (former) Nordstrom box:

View attachment 570112

More on all this from Retail-Insider, here:

And on Nike, here:

I'm so excited to hear about Simons coming to downtown Toronto. No more riding the bus to Square One to shop. What I love about Simons as well is that they put effort into their stores and make each one feel unique. Not some carbon copy.

i think Simons is going to do well at TEC. this is a well-deserved expansion, i know they've been wanting to expand for a while, so this is a big get that i think will prove well. unlike Nordstrom or even Sears, Simons knows what they're doing and they manage to stay rather fresh for a department store. and now people don't need to bother traveling all the way to mississauga.

Nike is an interesting move, as i noticed they've been expanding in other malls as well. Square One Nike recently expanded from their recent space, taking up the leases beside it. not surprising considering that they're very popular indeed.

and its nice to see Eataly have a presence here too. it's going to feel weird since they have the much bigger Yorkville location up the street, but since this is a smaller presence, i think that will fare well. i never ate at the Yorkville location but i've walked around and i can see why it's successful up there, maybe the notoriety of the intersection will attract more tourists and busy people walking the mall to get from place to place.

... I am given to understand that:

Simons will be almost non-existent on the second floor, its just an escalator landing and a bit extra. The second floor is mostly Eataly and Nike.

Simons is mainly on the 1st and 3rd floors. ...

It would be nice if there's a spacious atrium from Level 1 to Level 3 to give a sense of arrival or grandeur
(not like taking an escalator from street up to a Winners).
Simons is known for art in its stores, so hopefully they'll do something dramatic.

i think Simons is going to do well at TEC. this is a well-deserved expansion, i know they've been wanting to expand for a while, so this is a big get that i think will prove well. unlike Nordstrom or even Sears, Simons knows what they're doing and they manage to stay rather fresh for a department store. and now people don't need to bother traveling all the way to mississauga.

Nike is an interesting move, as i noticed they've been expanding in other malls as well. Square One Nike recently expanded from their recent space, taking up the leases beside it. not surprising considering that they're very popular indeed.

and its nice to see Eataly have a presence here too. it's going to feel weird since they have the much bigger Yorkville location up the street, but since this is a smaller presence, i think that will fare well. i never ate at the Yorkville location but i've walked around and i can see why it's successful up there, maybe the notoriety of the intersection will attract more tourists and busy people walking the mall to get from place to place.
Eataly at the eaton centre will probably be less grocery based and more restaurant based. There is residential in the area, but not to the degree there is in yorkville.

Eataly at the eaton centre will probably be less grocery based and more restaurant based. There is residential in the area, but not to the degree there is in yorkville.
I doubt strongly that Eataly is ever seen as a 'local grocer' - it's a destination and the Eaton Centre is very well connected to transit etc. I bet it has lots of 'groceries' in addition to restaurants.

Back