I like the tree at Dundas Square. At night lit up it's beautiful. And the polar bears are a hit-- people are always taking pictures with them, or in front of the tree. The BIA and the square do the best they can with the money they have. Lay off.

I like the tree at Dundas Square. At night lit up it's beautiful. And the polar bears are a hit-- people are always taking pictures with them, or in front of the tree. The BIA and the square do the best they can with the money they have. Lay off.

"Lay Off"? Seriously? I can't express an opinion? I'm glad you like it. I think it's an embarrassment.

Last edited:
photos by me, of construction inside the eaton centre.

sany0475.jpg

sany0474i.jpg

sany0468.jpg

sany0470.jpg

I'm gonna get picky here since Cadillac Fairview must have been really picky to do this reno: They better replace the aged glass roof with new glass to go with those new railings.

Well, there's no harm in replacing the glass since it's been replaced several times over since it was built. If they changed the mullions, then you'd be going into world war 3 with adma... Although I too would like to see an invisible mullion design like Yorkdale's. It's gorgeous. If applied to the Eaton Centre, such a large expanse of this ultra clear glazing would be quite stunning.

At the very least, I'd like to see the glass replaced by either a clear variety or a tinted but glossy kind. The current matte glass just looks dirty. Repaint the mullions and add new glass and I'm happy.

I don't like the changes one bit-- I'm just saying, if they're going to upgrade it, they better do it right. And in my opinion, that means replacing (I never said updating its design) the roof, which is dirty and faded. That glass needed replacing in a way the railings and floors did not.

I quite like the floor in the open eating area at the south food court. They've started to retile the outer parts of that area in the fashion of the other parts of the mall. It would be nice if they would emulate the existing pattern here with similar but more modern colours.

Here's a view of the south food court before it changes. I'm going to particularly miss the Druxy's. They used to be everywhere.

I'm glad I photographed parts of the mall earlier this year before work started. If you're down on the changes made, at least there are photos out there of how it used to look. I also snapped a photo of the north food court, but it is unfortunately a little blury.

I would really not mind seeing the roof replaced. Although it would be helpful to see some renders beforehand to be sure.

It doesn't seem like the renos to EC are going to be too dramatic. I always thought that giving the mall, at least at ground level, an appearance of an indoor street would be a good idea. For all its fanfare several decades ago, today it really just comes across as just another big mall. It would be good if they could reinvent it a little bit more dramatically. The most interesting aspect for me is the hanging light sculpture.

Back