Interesting thoughts regarding the malls. I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, and we went to an outlet mall. Most of the outlet malls I have been to have been the typical 'you have to drive from one store to the next because they're so far apart', but there seems to be a growing trend with outlet malls, at least in Orlando. What they did was they had all the parking around the outside (no public transit in sight, except for a few buses, but hey, it's Orlando), and the entire outlet mall was turned in on itself, so that it was basically composed of a network of 'streets'. They even had public squares and the like as part of the development. While I will agree that this is 'consumerist America immitating small-town America', I have to say that it was nice being able to park at one spot, and then walk around for a few hours.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=96

Not saying that it's good planning, I'd much rather have this whole area be a mixed-use village type of setting, but it's a whole heck of a lot better than what most of the outlet malls are. Any mall where you need a shuttle service around the outside of it because it's that big, isn't good planning.

That's more or less the model for Shops at Don Mills.

AoD

Yeah, it seems to be the model a lot of big box retailers are going to. I don't mind it. I wouldn't say that it's good planning, I would just say that it's better planning than what the norm has been.

The one that impressed me the most that I've seen is Hunt Valley, just north of Baltimore: http://www.shophuntvalley.com/. They did a really good job of integrating the LRT station into the development. You get off the LRT, and you can walk right down the 'main street' of the development.

New Mall Elevator - South Food Court

Recent pics from the renovation...

The lower food court covered from view:

EatonCtrCJW11022201.jpg

The galleria with new railings and floor:

EatonCtrCJW11022204.jpg

EatonCtrCJW11022203.jpg

EatonCtrCJW11022202.jpg

One of two elevator cabs reclad:

EatonCtrCJW11031901.jpg

I was looking forward to seeing how they'd redo the elevators. They're nice! :)

I don't want to rehash the whole "does a shopping mall preserve heritage or keep up with the times" debate but I think the latter was the right thing to do. It's still the Eaton Centre, still looks like the Eaton Centre, but is a lot cleaner and modern. I think the biggest overall improvement were the floors. I'm looking forward to the food courts being revealed.

I recall there was an art piece that spanned most of the galleria skylight. Do we know what it will look like? Are they replacing the glass itself? Leave the mullions (maybe paint them white, the off white is gloomy) and take advantage of the improvements in glass over the past few decades to introduce cleaner looking glazing. The Yorkdale skyline is breathtaking!

Last edited:
Those elevators are pretty sweet! The lights should move based on if the elevator is going up, or down. just for fun.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to seeing how they'd redo the elevators. They're nice! :)

I don't want to rehash the whole "does a shopping mall preserve heritage or keep up with the times" debate but I think the latter was the right thing to do. It's still the Eaton Centre, still looks like the Eaton Centre, but is a lot cleaner and modern. I think the biggest overall improvement were the floors. I'm looking forward to the food courts being revealed.

I recall there was an art piece that spanned most of the galleria skylight. Do we know what it will look like? Are they replacing the glass itself? Leave the mullions (maybe paint them white, the off white is gloomy) and take advantage of the improvements in glass over the past few decades to introduce cleaner looking glazing. The Yorkdale skyline is breathtaking!

Okay, now. Take your pick, folks. MetroMan vs this, from Cathy Nasmith's Built Heritage News #174 (out today)...

9. Eaton Centre: Renovation or Destruction?
Tye Farrow and Sharon Vanderkaay

When the Toronto Eaton Centre opened in 1977 it immediately drew huge crowds of local and international origin.

Today it remains one of Toronto's top tourist destinations, attracting more than 50 million visitors each year, while holding the distinction of best-performing centre in Canada in terms of sales per square foot.

For the first time in its 34-year history, the interior of this grand urban space is undergoing a major renovation. Begun last July and scheduled for completion in the summer of 2012, the $120-million revitalization project will, according to owner Cadillac Fairview, “reinvigorate the retail experience” and “reaffirm the well-known landmark’s position as Canada’s premier urban shopping destination.”

Within the main galleria space, the new environment will be sleek and transparent: handrails, escalators and elevators will be finished in glass and stainless steel, floors will be granite tile in various shades of grey, and a custom light sculpture will be suspended over the iconic fountain.

It’s what’s being lost that is troubling. Designed by renowned Canadian architect Eberhard Zeidler, Toronto Eaton Centre literally redefined the urban shopping mall. It was a revelation: an bright, airy, truly exuberant interior shopping street. The design details—strong vertical pipe handrails, exposed structure and mechanical systems brought the strong, unifying industrial details of the city inside.

At this point it is worthwhile stopping to reflect on the reasons for this building’s iconic status. Charles Eames, the eminent American designer wrote, “The details are not details – they make the product. It is, in the end, these details that give the product its life.”

What made the design of Eaton Centre so powerful? It was the sum of many details, where each element, no matter how apparently insignificant, was carefully designed to complement other elements and contribute to the greater whole. For example, the railings were not standardized assemblies, but rather specifically designed as sculptural elements to harmonize with the steel space frame of the galleria overhead and to elegantly integrate with the floors and walls. Their perfect proportions emphasized the vertical thrust of the space and were complemented by floors of crystalline white terrazzo trimmed with warm-toned Welsh quarry tiles and pebbled aggregates. The tiles were carefully arranged to visually compress the expansive floors to a human scale. Those design details were intrinsic to Zeidler’s creation and thereby to its overwhelming popularity and financial success.

Unfortunately, these railings and other details that added up to this bold Canadian innovation have been eradicated by the mall’s revitalization project.

How big a leap of faith was the design of Eaton Centre? In May, 1977, Eb Zeidler said in Canadian Architect, “If the downtown area of the city is its heart then the building of Eaton Centre can be compared to open heart surgery and like such (an) operation is not without danger.’’

This risky intervention was undertaken with gusto and led to building a culturally significant icon that many shopping centre designers have tried to imitate without success.

Let’s consider how other countries regard their culturally significant structure? Would citizens of Paris condone a facelift of the decorative grillwork of the Eiffel tower? Or replacement of their Art Nouveau subway entrances with an updated structure?

There is a vast difference between renovations that serve evolving functional needs, and making changes that alter the design’s essence. This is not a clear issue of what is right and wrong. However, in the same sense that we have come to expect a vigorous design review of proposed waterfront buildings, future renovations to modern designs such as Ontario Place deserve a healthy dialogue regarding what has lasting value.

Why does our society demand that noteworthy designs of a hundred years old or more be preserved, while modern architecture is routinely being destroyed? In fifty years’ time, it is conceivable that Eaton Centre will undergo a major restoration to bring back the celebrated original impact.

As a society we need to engage in a larger discussion regarding the essential elements of an enduring design. Increased visual literacy can help us bypass the “oops” step of performing unnecessary surgery that threatens the building’s life.

Tye Farrow is a principal in the Farrow Partnership

The new entrance at Dundas and the new front for the office tower on Queen, demonstrated that the owners had less than 0% respect for Zeilder's design.

Okay, now. Take your pick, folks. MetroMan vs this, from Cathy Nasmith's Built Heritage News #174 (out today)...

Can I ask, and perhaps I'm being controversial, but who gives a flying you-know-what about the handrails? It isn't like they are installing bright pink ones. The new ones compliment the roof just fine, guarantee you that 99.9% of the tourists really won't notice a difference.

Can I ask, and perhaps I'm being controversial, but who gives a flying you-know-what about the handrails? It isn't like they are installing bright pink ones. The new ones compliment the roof just fine, guarantee you that 99.9% of the tourists really won't notice a difference.

Take note of the last portion of the article Adma posted:

"Why does our society demand that noteworthy designs of a hundred years old or more be preserved, while modern architecture is routinely being destroyed? In fifty years’ time, it is conceivable that Eaton Centre will undergo a major restoration to bring back the celebrated original impact.

As a society we need to engage in a larger discussion regarding the essential elements of an enduring design. Increased visual literacy can help us bypass the “oops” step of performing unnecessary surgery that threatens the building’s life."

The removal of handrails seems trivial to many, but beneath such a simplistic aesthetic change, therein lies the point. It's hypocritical of individuals to call for the preservation of century old architecture in this city, while at the same time, allowing the destruction of the integrity of one of Toronto's prime pieces of modern architecture. What seems progressive and beneficial now, may not appear as such in the future decades, as the article alludes to.

The fact that the majority of mall-goers, as well as the developer, are so keen on redeveloping the mall at the expense of its revolutionizing and influential architectural features is troublesome. The mistakes of old in this city, particularly the post-war period trends, may be taking place as we speak, and unbeknownst to many.

This call for "visual literacy" is not particularly unwarranted.

"In fifty years’ time, it is conceivable that Eaton Centre will undergo a major restoration to bring back the celebrated original impact."

And indeed they should do that in the 50yrs time if it is thought that it will bring in shoppers. I question whether replacing flooring and railing is a fundamental design change anyway, it's more a change in decor. The interior space of a mall should be dynamic and ever changing, the sole purpose of these places is to draw people indoors to engage ion commercial enterprise. If the interior decor needs to be continually revamped to keep with current trends and fashions then so be it- that is the function of a mall.

And indeed they should do that in the 50yrs time if it is thought that it will bring in shoppers. I question whether replacing flooring and railing is a fundamental design change anyway, it's more a change in decor. The interior space of a mall should be dynamic and ever changing, the sole purpose of these places is to draw people indoors to engage ion commercial enterprise. If the interior decor needs to be continually revamped to keep with current trends and fashions then so be it- that is the function of a mall.

Of course flooring and railings are fundamental design details. In a space like this, they're among the most visible elements of the space.

What I'm seeing is that they're bringing in a generic modern style to the Eaton Centre that will probably get dated really quickly. The interior space of a mall should simply be well-designed with excellent details. In that sense, it's good to build on what you have if it was significant rather than stripping it and replacing it with something generically modern every few years. You can build a sense of identity and prestige that way. The circle designs in the flooring look like they could have gone in virtually any mall in Greater Toronto. I've already seen the railings installed upon entering the building at the northeast corner of Yonge and Queen that houses the entrance to the subway; no doubt they will be some common design that makes it into a lot of lesser buildings.

And I think Bogtrotter's also victim of an excessively reductivist "a mall is a mall is a mall" fallacy, not considering how (a) a mall, esp. one situated in an Eaton Centre-type physical *and* cultural context, can serve as architecture and urbanism as well, which may paradoxically serve, in its fundamental civic-role way, to mediate away from purely mercenary concerns, and (b) despite what retail-marketing shills may tell you, there's no simple built-in-stone formula to "dynamic and ever-changing". If they claim otherwise, then they're being self-serving aluminum-siding salesmen.

Though as I've suggested before, I can see how newer trends in retail (i.e. of the last 20 odd years of post-megamalldom) dictate continual churn and dispensibility--however, the Eaton Centre predates all of that, it's part of an era and ethos when architectural pretensions still mattered, and should be considered accordingly rather than like, well, Toronto Life Square Southwest. Which is...demeaning, like forcing Grandma to wear facial piercings and tattoos. The actual retail *within* the Eaton Centre: that's open to change, even the configurations thereof (shifting food courts etc). But the aesthetic of the place proper: that's another matter.

And really--if we're to take Bogtrotter's claim to its utmost, why stop at malls? Even *banks* can be interpreted in terms of "sole purpose is to serve customers and if they need to be revamped so be it". So, by Bogtrotter or Metro Man logic, what happened in the 90s to Parkin's Bank of Montreal in Don Mills is a good thing...

I didn't want to rehash this debate because I know that in the end, it's just a matter of opinion so nobody will "win" the argument. However, I do want to pose one question to adma:

If the entirety of the mall, in all its details is important to preserve the heritage integrity of the building, then you must believe that the stores themselves can't be changed. The storefronts as originally built were part of the character of the mall but they had to change because stores closed, others opened and retail has changed. Would you have defended that the storefronts remain the same, to the detriment of their ability to compete in the market? If not, then you are advocating changing details of the mall. If so, then you are complicit in the mall losing revenue which leads to it falling into disrepair and ultimately closing.

In the end, the mall must adapt to continue to attract customers. Otherwise it dies, and you end up with something like this...

CR_SC_28490_42_Catherine_Street_Old_George_Mall_Shopping_Centre_Salisbury_picture_1_p5_440x330.jpg

6_abandonedmall-300x201.jpg

Last edited:

Back