News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

With Sears moving out, I wonder if there's an opportunity to extend the mall towards Yonge & Dundas. Smaller retailers may do better than another department store. It could also open the door for an Apple Store with both Yonge street and mall presence.

With Sears moving out, I wonder if there's an opportunity to extend the mall towards Yonge & Dundas. Smaller retailers may do better than another department store. It could also open the door for an Apple Store with both Yonge street and mall presence.
It would be great to have that Atrium extended to fill an entire city block, but not likely with Sears keeping their HQ in the top floor (as reported today). I think Nordstrom's is most likely or a combination with Nordstrom's on some floors and maybe a Simon's on others (although, the logistics of that would be admittedly difficult).

The Levis store near the fountain has hoarding up but I'm not sure if they are renovating or have closed
Rockport shoes is moving from near the fountain into the old Collacut spot near the Queen St entrance

Rockport has now opened in the old Collacutt location near Queen Street.

Collacutt has relocated to the space where the Levi's store used to be on the lower level.

Calendar Club is now open in two locations: the former Rockport store across from the fountain and also in the former StyleXchange space beside the Disney Store.

Costa Blanca has (finally!) closed and the space has blank hoarding in front.

Last edited:
It would be great to have that Atrium extended to fill an entire city block, but not likely with Sears keeping their HQ in the top floor (as reported today). I think Nordstrom's is most likely or a combination with Nordstrom's on some floors and maybe a Simon's on others (although, the logistics of that would be admittedly difficult).

If and when Nordstrom's acquires the Sears space, the mall will go looking for high class clients. I wouldn't be surprised to see this become "Yorkdale South". I am wondering how it will do when other rumoured upscale spots (old Globe & Mail site, Convention Centre) could be just years away from breaking ground.

After this weekend, the Eaton Centre location of Fruits & Passion will be converting into The Face Shop. This will be the first downtown location for the Korean cosmetics and skincare company (after Markville and Fairview Mall), which is owned by LG. Other Fruits & Passion locations will remain, but new Fruits & Passion owner LG decided to convert the EC location after a successful test run with some Face Shop products in store. The store will close for a few days in order to do some renovations, but should be open again before Black Friday. Now if we can get the other Korean cosmetic shops to open up downtown - Missha, Tonymoly etc.

Rocky Mountain Chocolate will be moving to the space beside Baskin-Robbins, where Personal Edge used to be. This implies that the entire space across from Body Shop (now occupied by Nino D'arena, Rocky Mountain and Calendar Club) will be renovated in the new year for a new tenant or tenants...any idea who?

If and when Nordstrom's acquires the Sears space, the mall will go looking for high class clients. I wouldn't be surprised to see this become "Yorkdale South". I am wondering how it will do when other rumoured upscale spots (old Globe & Mail site, Convention Centre) could be just years away from breaking ground.

I think Macy's would be a good fit for TEC. Probably a step up from Sears, but not quite as ritzy as the haute couture posturing of Yorkville. Macys has some high-end, but is also for people who do not have bowel movements that smell like freshly baked cinnamon buns.

I think Macy's would be a good fit for TEC. Probably a step up from Sears, but not quite as ritzy as the haute couture posturing of Yorkville. Macys has some high-end, but is also for people who do not have bowel movements that smell like freshly baked cinnamon buns.

Why would we need Macy's when we have Hudson's Bay. I used to live in the states, and both stores are virtually the same. Both have their high-end stuff, but is generally approchable.

According to the Retail Insider website, Terry J. Lundgren, the CEO of Macy's, has recently said that Macy's no longer has any interest in the Canadian market.

The entire Slipstream installation is now working, and has been for a couple of weeks, and it actually looks interesting, with light patterns evoking a snowfall.

I wonder if they will ever replace their roof windows (skylights?). It always looked so cluttered up there to me. The Houston Galleria is based of the same design principles as the Toronto Eaton Centre except the Galleria has a much nicer design in genereal.
Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 8.57.56 PM.jpg

Galleria on the left, Eaton center on the right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 8.57.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 8.57.56 PM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 727
Hamiltonian:

Actually I have no doubt it is at least partly intentional - with the inspiration from historical skylighted arcades (e.g. Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan).

AoD

The glazed ceiling needs to stay the way it is. It's that precise look that evokes historic arcades look that gives it character. The way the trusses arch and then meet at a pointed tip, in particular, is significant. With the generic minimalistic railings they've installed recently, the ceiling might seem more out of place. That's no reason to mess with it, though. Redoing the railings again in time would make more sense.

Back