News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Has anyone heard if O&B is doing something in the old Richtree space?
The building permit application notes B-Well Hospitality Inc. as the project owner.

Last weekend I was in The Eaton Centre for the first time in maybe five years. I'm not a fan of malls, but make a journey when I absolutely have to.

Quick question: What happened to the former food court on the south end of the mall?

Last weekend I was in The Eaton Centre for the first time in maybe five years. I'm not a fan of malls, but make a journey when I absolutely have to.

Quick question: What happened to the former food court on the south end of the mall?

The post above yours provides a partial answer, in that the foodcourt had previously been turned into a Richtree space (Movenpick imitation of sorts). They went bust awhile back.

I'm not certain offhand what the replacement will be.

@bAuHaUs makes a good observation. @soundmuseum often has an ear to the ground for TEC happenings.

The post above yours provides a partial answer, in that the foodcourt had previously been turned into a Richtree space (Movenpick imitation of sorts). They went bust awhile back.

I'm not certain offhand what the replacement will be.

@bAuHaUs makes a good observation. @soundmuseum often has an ear to the ground for TEC happenings.

Thanks @Northern Light ! Here's my long-winded response: Regarding the south end food court on Level 1: it was a Richtree Market, which was (long story short) the expanded successor of Movenpick/Marche.
Richtree at Eaton Centre abruptly closed on March 9, 2020, right on the cusp of the pandemic. I was there while it was happening - staff were called together for a sudden meeting and customers were told to leave the restaurant and go eat/drink at the outside tables. The next morning, all the gates were shut and there were little signs saying they were closed. The entire space has been empty since then. Richtree was part of a subsidiary of Catalyst Capital Group, called "Natural Markets Food Group". NMFG also owned Planet Organic Market, which had stores across the country (including a store in Mississauga) and seems to have also shut down/collapsed around the same time as Richtree.

For the last few years during the pandemic, hoarding has been surrounding the former Richtree space, with mysterious construction slowly happening in the area. Signs nearby say that the Queen St. Level 1 subway entrance to TEC is closed each night after 9pm for construction. As I previously noted as well as @bAuHaUs , there are construction permits posted which show "B-Well Hospitality" as the project owner. B-Well is an alias for O&B, which can be traced to the address listed on the permit. The same area also seems to be a partial base for the scaffolding and materials for the glass atrium replacement.

Up on Level 2 (Queen St), partially above the former Richtree space, Constance Taverne has been confirmed to be opening in the former Duke of Richmond pub, which had their entrance on the corner of Queen and James/20 Queen St. West. You can also access it going down from the office escalators on Level 3 near the bridge to The Bay.

It was a bit unclear as to who was behind Constance. However, they have just posted their new website: https://www.theconstancetaverne.com/
Clicking on their "We're Hiring" link leads to a page for "Careers at Oliver & Bonacini". So, O&B is definitely behind the new Constance resto. Now, just what is going on downstairs in the old Richtree space is unclear. Either O&B is also developing a different large food/dining concept there, or they needed to do supporting construction related to the upstairs Constance Taverne? Alternative theory: Constance could span 2 levels. The old Duke of Richmond was kinda small, so they could either keep the original space or try to expand it. I wouldn't be surprised either way, since O&B also owns Lena and Sap which are both also down the street inside Hudson's Bay.

Another alternate theory: this is temporary construction related to the upstairs restaurant and the space will eventually be re-configured for more retail stores instead of a food court.

Now you make me feel old.. I remember when that food court was hopping alongside the McDonalds midway down the hall by where Shoppers is. I ate in the south food court many many times.

Never went there but I did visit Sbarro a few times.

I believe I may have even gone to Lime Rickeys as a kid.

You mean when you were this old? Or even younger?

1668795464263.png

Back