The retail in this building is absolutely abysmal, and a failed missed opportunity. The fact that Empire went with all these small unit designs is just outright questionable.

Between this and their development at Beyond the Sea down the street, I have no idea what on the planet they are doing with retail design.
At grade, many small units is always better than a single large one. Every time.

Not saying it had to be a single large retail space, but the space of the individual units could have been larger overall to allow for some more effective and interesting retail shops.

Some ground realm updates…

Pharmasave and the Physio space will be the first two of open (if they are actually separate). Cloud Heads… maybe the fourth?
IMG_2777.jpg

Huevos Gourmet of the the west of Pharamsave will probably be third. Still no signs in the other windows.
IMG_2778.jpg

Looking up the west side with most of the walkways now open.
IMG_2779.jpg

Under the port cochère…
IMG_2780.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2782.jpg

Hopefully the condo corp spends some serious cash on the plantings here next Spring.
IMG_2785.jpg
IMG_2786.jpg

Around on the Lake Shore side, I see no reference to the Kingsway College School nor the second cannabis shop.
IMG_2788.jpg
IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2790.jpg

Where the sales pavilion was, a mound of earth now sits. Not sure if there's any design for the park here yet… but I don't think so. Anyone know for sure?
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg

Under the port cochère…
View attachment 284606
I only wish they painted the V-columns... They look so bad as bare concrete. I think I'm allergic to brutalism, even in tiny doses.

Around on the Lake Shore side, I see no reference to the Kingsway College School nor the second cannabis shop.
View attachment 284611
Yeah, they took down the cannabis store sign from this unit. Now there's a "For Rent" sign on that unit, which looks like it was bought at a dollar store along with the sharpie used to inscribe the telephone number on it. I wonder if they just signed a lease agreement for the unit, but then got denied the cannabis store due to proximity to the school. So now they're trying to sublease it?

That building is a monster though...goodness!
Come on, a monster? I mean, it's not as eye-catching on a moody overcast day, but a monster?? Really?

My hope for that has slowly faded
Hey, just look at the L-tower and One Bloor as some examples of how long it takes to finish the exterior. It may have taken over a decade, but in the end, the developers of those buildings are slowly getting closer to getting things done. I have full confidence that 20 years from now, Empire will be almost ready to finish most of the balconies at Eau du Soleil.

A couple of observations from last night's walk-around inspection of the public realm here.

1. Not sure if it's the first in Toronto, but is certainly the first time I have personally seen this: a dedicated visitor secure bike storage room. Accessible directly from the street, with intercom buzzer. As an avid cyclist I absolutely love this! I wish all condos had this.
PXL_20201126_004952871.jpg

2. You'd think that due to their location deep inside the archway, the V-colums were fairly safe from the elements. I was surprised to see that on a windless but soggy day like yesterday, they were drenched from top to bottom an all sides. There are wind effects created within the archway which suck in the rain and soak the pillars. Makes me wonder how long until this exposed concrete starts looking like the underside of the Gardiner
PXL_20201126_010623496.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201126_004952871.jpg
    PXL_20201126_004952871.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 237
  • PXL_20201126_010623496.jpg
    PXL_20201126_010623496.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 232

Back