5-10 minutes in no traffic, which between 6am and 9pm is almost never.
It's called Lake Shore Blvd. If you're stupid enough to only use the Gardiner, you deserve to be stuck in traffic during rush hour.

I routinely get from my front door to the parking garage at the Esplanade in 10 minutes during rush hour. The key is avoiding troubled spots along Lake Shore, especially near the core.

I've done it plenty of times betweek 6am -9pm. I'm talking about places like the stores and shops on the Queensway by Islington, as well as Sherway Gardens. Easily within 10 minutes drive. Theres also a Sobeys thats about a 10 minute walk from the Nautilus.

Exactly. I can't believe all this blah blah about everyone driving. That has NOTHING to do with those of us living here, but everything to do with how piss poor the TTC and Metrolinx are to this area. Apparently 30k people in a km strip of land does not require due dilligence by transit planning. Rubbish, all of them.

Yawn. Metro and all that boring chain retail is what makes Toronto dull. I'll take my Junction strip of cool coffee shops any day over your generic "New cheese" condos.

Also on my walk to the Junction strip I have dozens of interesting side streets to walk on whilst down in HumByawn you have nothing interesting to look at!

Get over yourself. People have different tastes, and mine is to have recreation options outside my front door.

Nothing interesting to look at? Why are so many pictures depicting our zOMG skyline taken from there? Because that's what you have to look at! Probably the most breathtaking views of our city. That's the reason that neighbourhood exists.

Nothing interesting to look at? Why are so many pictures depicting our zOMG skyline taken from there? Because that's what you have to look at! Probably the most breathtaking views of our city. That's the reason that neighbourhood exists.

Agreed. One of the very best views of the City. It`s amazing how personal these posts are getting. Everyone loves their own neighbourhood. And when people move around they love their new neighbourhood. But, I know of a few people who lived in Humber Bay Shores then moved right downtown...only to move back a few years later. Their reasoning was that their neighbours were much friendlier here and people actually helped each other. This is still a neighbourhood that`s growing and under construction like City Place. It`s only getting better.

Of course we did, except we bought a condo for 230k in 1996 that is now worth 600k.

Hey that's great! You mean your GTA real estate appreciated in the last 17 years? Shocker.

I feel that the downturn will be a lot smaller, because the resort now exists. Back then there were 3 condos in the entire strip and it really did feel disconnected and isolated. Upon full build out you will have 30-35 thousand people in that strip, with more shops, more services and more restaurants.

Please explain how this applies to the 905? Can I drive to downtown in 5 minutes from the 905? Do I have access to a full range of urban amenities within walking distance (if I so choose to walk)? Do I have access to an incredible network of waterfront parks and recreation options? No, no and no. There is nothing like it in the GTA. Not when you take into account the full offering of suburban amenities literally a few minutes out your door. Costco, Ikea, Cineplex, Sherway, Wal Mart, etc etc etc all a ~5 minute drive...

I think you're mistaking this area for Liberty Village man. Both are isolated vertical subdivisions of sorts, but one is 5-10 minutes in no traffic from civilization, ie central Toronto, and the other is a ridiculously isolated enclave that would require formal hiking gear and 3 days of rations to find the nearest non-strip mall Second Cup store.

Last edited:
this is from the planning report

Conclusion

The current proposal does not conform to Official Plan policies relating to massing and built form, shadowing and wind impacts. As currently proposed, the development is out of scale and design for the Council approved built form context within Humber Bay Shores and represents an over development of this site. One of the key objectives for staff when assessing this development proposal has been to attempt to maintain the consistent Tall Point Tower, "Mid Rise Terrace" building (7 to 14 storeys) and 3 to 5 storey commercial building massing prevalent in Humber Bay Shores to be consistent with the Humber Bay Shores Urban Design Guidelines and create appropriate built form and height relationships between other adjacent buildings and along Marine Parade Drive.

The key issues with this development include:
  • Its scale is out of proportion in its area context;
  • Wind impacts;
  • Shadow impacts;
  • Servicing (subject to the Core Infrastructure Agreement being signed and registered on title); and
  • Traffic (subject to the appropriate review of the recently submitted AECOM Traffic Study).

Development can be supported at this location, provided it is has a built form that conforms to the area context, provides an appropriate transition of scale, comfortable shadow and wind conditions, and provides compatible physical relationships between developments. In staff's opinion, the proposed building heights, scale and site layout fails to achieve this. As such, staff are recommending the applications in their current form be refused by City Council and appropriate staff be directed to attend the Ontario Municipal Board to oppose the applications.

Roger B makes a bunch of points about the impact on the parks in the latest news article http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/09/water-tower-launching-empire-communities-eau-du-soleil

I thought this project was already approved? The sky tower is already like 80% or more sold out. How can the city just turn down the whole project? Does this mean Eau Du Soleil is dead?

I thought this project was already approved? The sky tower is already like 80% or more sold out. How can the city just turn down the whole project? Does this mean Eau Du Soleil is dead?

The developer takes a risk by selling the project before any approvals. I'm sure this information was eagerly shared with prospective buyers by sales agents ;)

The project will first go to Community Council and they will take a position on the development, then it will go to Council to vote on Community Council's recommendation. Council may overrule staff and vote to support the development (e.g. Massey Tower). If the Ward Councillor is in favour in many cases a compromise deal will be proposed or perhaps he will announce some large Section 37 deal. The City lawyers will take Council's position to the Ontario Municipal Board. Even if Council votes against the proposal it's also possible a settlement will be reached down the road.

Given that Councillor Grimes is featured on their marketing website, don't count the development out yet (although the quotes may be a bit selective ;) ) However the issues do seem significant enough to impact the development as proposed.

http://eaudusoleil.empirecommunities.com/revitalization-for-waterfront-economy/

Last edited:
Either way if not approved at 66s and 46s, it will be at 49s and 42s..lol

Zeidler, Gehry and many other high-end architects, must be wondering what it takes to get their projects through smooth sailing at Toronto City Planning

Back