Look how close that crane is to 2200 Yonge. That's got to be about 12"!
econdo-crane.jpg

Attachments

• econdo-crane.jpg
    econdo-crane.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,368
A shot similar to BjamesT's -- I don't understand how crane booms are allowed to go this close to an existing structure:

IMG_0826.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    592.2 KB · Views: 1,767
It would be interesting to know what amount of insurance is involved when cranes over-swing neighbouring properties, along with any agreements that have to be made with neighbouring property owners.

I do know from direct experience that a crane swing easement can be negotiated with the neighbours in question in order to permit that encroachment. As the encroachee rather than the encroacher, so to speak, I do not know what if any insurance is taken out. IIRC, the easement did include a clause about making good any damage. As I recall, there was a similar statement with respect to some of the horizontal drilling which takes place during the shoring process in excavation. This was all a few years ago, however, and my memory may be faulty as to details.

The owner of the existing building, RioCan, is also involved in the development so they had their own incentive to find a solution.

We too had a strong incentive to make things work. IIRC, the easement was described to me by our counsel, not theirs, as boiler plate language. I think the agreements may be common. But that crane is certainly uncommonly close!

Oct 22:

Some upward construction on the south tower's below grade levels
IMG_9032.JPG

IMG_9035.JPG

These next few are shot through grime covered windows. Just thought I would share my lack of pride for this next batch
IMG_9034.JPG
IMG_9037.JPG
IMG_9039.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9032.JPG
    IMG_9032.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_9034.JPG
    IMG_9034.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMG_9035.JPG
    IMG_9035.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMG_9037.JPG
    IMG_9037.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMG_9039.JPG
    IMG_9039.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 1,210
Can someone remind me why they weren't able to assemble the entire Yonge frontage on this block? Or was that never considered a part of this project.
Don't get me wrong, the restaurants and shops there are better than a TD bank ever will be, but that remaining block of low rise retail seems very odd all things considered.

In some ways I agree, but it does prevent the site from become completely "sterile" . Most developers don't know how to deal with large sites so they make one long continuous glass facade. This will ultimately look better - more human.

I'm not sure it's possible at this point, even with the renders in hand, to really appreciate how much this is going to transform this intersection.

Back