We could have, for the same money, an elevated line that was fully grade separated (no risk of road traffic causing delays or service disruptions) and thus faster, more frequent, and due to cost savings could have run all the way to Pearson. And it likely would be complete by now. I can see the argument for burying a stretch near Yonge, but most of Eglinton woudln't be overly burdened by an elevated line.
It won't be complete by now, because the other option was at grade. Best case scenerio, Doug Ford proposed an elevated EWest, and we get a similar time frame for completion, but cheaper.

It won't be complete by now, because the other option was at grade. Best case scenerio, Doug Ford proposed an elevated EWest, and we get a similar time frame for completion, but cheaper.

Isn't building elevated sections faster than tunnelling? I'm not sure tbh, although I'd imagine it is. Also I think the best case scenario if metrolinx applies a full value-engineered approach here would be running it in the median with fly-overs/fly-unders at each intersection and removing any minor cross-streets in between those major roads. Although this would mean eliminating mid-block crosswalks that accompany those minor roads too, and replacing them with footbridges, which aren't exactly accessible. For me I really like the idea of the entire line elevated in that wide median.

Isn't building elevated sections faster than tunnelling? I'm not sure tbh, although I'd imagine it is. Also I think the best case scenario if metrolinx applies a full value-engineered approach here would be running it in the median with fly-overs/fly-unders at each intersection and removing any minor cross-streets in between those major roads. Although this would mean eliminating mid-block crosswalks that accompany those minor roads too, and replacing them with footbridges, which aren't exactly accessible. For me I really like the idea of the entire line elevated in that wide median.
Well okay, it'll shave around 2 years. The point is there is no way it'll be done "now".

If Crosstown had been primarily elevated, we could have included this phase 2 extension in that project for the same cost, less disruption, and it would be complete by now.
It wasn't purely elevated, nor was it ever going to be purely elevated, nor was having it purely elevated through midtown toronto even a slight possibility.

Yeah but if we want the art to look any good we should get OCAD or Sheridan student to do it
Agreed, but it would be much more fitting for a York University student (or a Seneca at York student) to do the art for York University station, mainly for school pride reasons. OCAD or Sheridan students can design artwork for York University, but they have to have York University (or Seneca at York) as their alma mater.

I am not asking a York University student to create artwork for Humber College station for example, especially York University students unaffiliated with Humber College.

Last edited:
You guys think Metrolinx is going to reuse the station designs they used for phase 1?

It will be very interesting what the design they come up with for the elevated stations.

I cannot believe how stupid this project is. If I didn't hear it from the Premier's mouth himself, I'd think this proposal was out of a Beverton article or something. $510 Million / km!? It is so mindbogglingly dumb.

Expected, since it would pass by Doug Ford's neighbourhood. And Doug would NOT be using it, anyways. But the station in the Kipling & Eglinton West intersection had better pay homage to the Ford family.

I cannot believe how stupid this project is. If I didn't hear it from the Premier's mouth himself, I'd think this proposal was out of a Beverton article or something. $510 Million / km!? It is so mindbogglingly dumb.
I thought my eyes seeing that Doug Ford got elected as premier 2 years ago came from a Beverton article as well.

But anyways, congrats to Doug for wasting all of our money.

Back