The 'Coming Soon' signs for Food Basics are gone from outside the building. It would make people think they are open for business, but they are not actually open yet.

The 'Coming Soon' signs for Food Basics are gone from outside the building. It would make people think they are open for business, but they are not actually open yet.

The permanent FoodBasics signage (approved by City) went up last Saturday September 4th. Yes, I've seen many bewilder grocery shoppers go in and out of Emerald Park expecting FoodBasics to be open!
IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8864.JPG

While the outer part of EmeraldPark is considered Common Area - Metro/FoodBasics has permission to mount signage at 3 areas. The previous "Food Basics Coming Soon" banners were likely never approved by City - thus, technically against City bylaw,... and any 311 call would have forced FoodBasics to take them down. Gee, I wonder who would have made that call,... WholeFoodsMarket across the street or Longos

Technically don't have Occupancy yet due to issues with HVAC and Fire Separation,... but,.... images from yesterday evening
IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG

IMG_9602.JPG

This last photo shows the Parking Validation Kiosk - similar to the one at the adjacent LCBO which offers 30 Free Parking - so I'm assuming at least the same here. Keep in mind, otherwise, it's $4 per hour parking, limited number of commercial parking spaces below (T&T bailed second time because landlord Metro couldn't get the requested 100 parking spaces) and full of tight turns because developer Bazis squeezed in as many parking spaces as they could

On the evening just before the Grand Opening,...

IMG_9714.JPG

IMG_9712.JPG

IMG_9708.JPG

Hmm,... I'm confused. Why do those little kid size mini-shopping carts against the wall have flags with green amazon logos on them? Amazon owns WholeFoodsMarket across Yonge St.

I got there for 8am because I was interested in seeing if there were any grand opening specials. They are having technical difficulties and postponing the opening until 2pm. I think they mentioned something about the POS registers. They are turning people back at the bottom of the escalator. As compensation, they are giving out a free vinyl bag as well as a gift card.

Looking at the finishes, it's interesting how close to a Metro it looks. It's quite atypical for the Food Basics Banner. The lighting, ceilings, even much of the shelving has Metro's look.

They just subbed out the Black, and Red Metro uses for Food Basic's green with a hint of their yellow.

If you swapped the colours, you'd be very close to a Metro.

Reminds me of how the T&T on College is clearly the Loblaws template, with a colour-scheme refit and a few other changes.

In that case, the store opened as a Loblaw's City Market though, so the connection is perhaps more understandable.

But I wonder if this space, having been contemplated as a Metro at one point, if the fixtures/drop-ceilings etc were all bought, and then just used paint/wraps to change up the look.

But I wonder if this space, having been contemplated as a Metro at one point, if the fixtures/drop-ceilings etc were all bought, and then just used paint/wraps to change up the look.

Metro was supposed to start construction in early 2015 on high-end new concept Urban Metro with market station throughout, emphasizing ready-made food for the local high-density condo people. Metro saw WholeFoodsMarket open across Yonge St September 2014 with low customer volume,... so Metro bailed in early 2015 - stopped interior construction/renovation but already did some HVAC and patio work,... the rest was a shell for 6 years,... Adonis declined, T&T came back but bailed when landlord Metro couldn't get 100 parking spaces, Metro put this on market but no serious takers,... so Metro put in an Urban FoodBasics with no market station, no ready-made food except their BBQ Chicken

Metro was supposed to start construction in early 2015 on high-end new concept Urban Metro with market station throughout, emphasizing ready-made food for the local high-density condo people. Metro saw WholeFoodsMarket open across Yonge St September 2014 with low customer volume,... so Metro bailed in early 2015 - stopped interior construction/renovation but already did some HVAC and patio work,... the rest was a shell for 6 years,... Adonis declined, T&T came back but bailed when landlord Metro couldn't get 100 parking spaces, Metro put this on market but no serious takers,... so Metro put in an Urban FoodBasics with no market station, no ready-made food except their BBQ Chicken

So, more or less I was on-point.

They re-used a lot of fittings for the higher-end Metro; then just covered them w/green and yellow.

The only material change being removing the market stations in favour of, presumably more shelving; and they probably just matched what they already had for the space.

The space remained an empty concrete shell for the last 6 years after Metro stopped at their initial piping HVAC work. This image is from June 3rd earlier this Summer, a few days after FoodBasics started their on-site interior construction/renovation - it shows how far Metro got 6 years ago
IMG_6627 (1).JPG

I'm doubtful of the technical Point Of Sales issues - they were testing POS last Saturday so any technical issues should have been resolved then.
IMG_9543.JPG

Yesterday, Building Management issued a late notice that the building will shut electrical power from 5:30am-7:00am to ground floor retailers except the TimHortons,.... just before FoodBasics' 8am Grand Opening,... probably to connect or test something for FoodBasics.
IMG_9716.JPG

As per my previous post from a few days go, they didn't have Occupancy then. Since then, the Plumbing and Mechanicals were "Closed" yesterday. But some Building "Fire Separation" & "Interior Final Inspection" and Fire Security/Upgrade issues still need to pass City inspection.
BuildingInspection_FoodBasics.PNG

BuildingFireInspection_FoodBasics.PNG

FoodBasics store still can't pass City Building/Fire Inspections so still can't open at 2pm,... no tentative schedule of when they'll open,... weekend coming with most City Staff off so probably after Monday, Tuesday,...

FoodBasics store still can't pass City Building/Fire Inspections so still can't open at 2pm,... no tentative schedule of when they'll open,... weekend coming with most City Staff off so probably after Monday, Tuesday,...

They are open now and customers are in the store shopping. I guess they got the inspections done.

Back