It boggles my mind sometimes how something as simple as supply follows demand is lost on so many people. Nestle Two as some redesigned variation would break ground tomorrow if a lead tenant could be signed.

Yes and we know there's plenty of office buildings going on along say Hi-way 7 in Markham (there have been a few new ones over the last couple of years and more planed) ... I pick this area in particular as hi-way 7 is a mess in rush hour so you can't argue traffic is much better (the only thing they have going is the 407).

So why there over here ? Tax / tax / tax ... that's the only large difference ...

Cost of land as well. You can't build a six storey office park at Yonge and Sheppard. You have to go big which makes it hard to attract tenants as you need big ones. And there aren't that many big ones looking.

Cost of land as well. You can't build a six storey office park at Yonge and Sheppard. You have to go big which makes it hard to attract tenants as you need big ones. And there aren't that many big ones looking.

I agree..but it still doesnt stop a developer doing what Hullmark and many others have done by incorporating a smaller office component with condos above.

To a certain degree sure ... but there are some very large office complexes going up in Markham now / near future. Not that tall though, maybe 10 stories - but large floor plates.

This isn't the driving issue, it's taxes at the end of the day - you'd think NYCC would be a hot bed of construction - cheeper rents then downtown - very much accessible by all forms of transit - but ever since North York joined the rest of the 416 things went downhill as taxes went up.

I agree..but it still doesnt stop a developer doing what Hullmark and many others have done by incorporating a smaller office component with condos above.

These are just dental units and the like .... office condos as they like to call them. These don't bring the type of employment we really want to attract to these areas ... if anything it does more harm then good.

These are just dental units and the like .... office condos as they like to call them. These don't bring the type of employment we really want to attract to these areas ... if anything it does more harm then good.

Come-on...attracting small businesses, cant be that harmfull.:confused:

Office condos are a popular alternative to leasing. Office condos have become a popular alternative to leasing office space for small businesses, especially professionals who are looking for a long-term location with minimal need for expansion. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, CPAs and other small firms typically find office condos ideal, so the trick for developers is how to market these properties to the right groups.

Yes and we know there's plenty of office buildings going on along say Hi-way 7 in Markham (there have been a few new ones over the last couple of years and more planed) ... I pick this area in particular as hi-way 7 is a mess in rush hour so you can't argue traffic is much better (the only thing they have going is the 407).

So why there over here ? Tax / tax / tax ... that's the only large difference ...

And another one. .. people are obsessed with tax as being the be all and end all to attracting more business. Don't get me wrong, it's significant but, it's hardly at the top of the list. The thing that allows a six storey, 150,000 square foot building built in the centre of a 600 spot surface parking lot and be profitable holds that position. Notice how Mississauga City Centre has only manage one small midrise commercial building in 20 years that needed a lot of support from council and that rumours of condo conversion remain constant.

And another one. .. people are obsessed with tax as being the be all and end all to attracting more business. Don't get me wrong, it's significant but, it's hardly at the top of the list. The thing that allows a six storey, 150,000 square foot building built in the centre of a 600 spot surface parking lot and be profitable holds that position. Notice how Mississauga City Centre has only manage one small midrise commercial building in 20 years that needed a lot of support from council and that rumours of condo conversion remain constant.

I agree with you to a certain degree - but tell me something, there's still large swaths of land in areas like consumers road / Don mills - Victoria park / parts of SCC ... i.e. large suburban Toronto locations where a 6 story office building with a parking garage surrounding it could go - yet we've seen 0 construction over the last 10 years in these areas!
If there was construction there I could by your argument - but there isn't ... Hi-way 7 around the 404 is just as dense as our Toronto office developments so you can't argue people find traffic too much in that area.

So again the difference is why do they chose to locate there instead ?

Come-on...attracting small businesses, cant be that harmfull.:confused:

Office condos are a popular alternative to leasing. Office condos have become a popular alternative to leasing office space for small businesses, especially professionals who are looking for a long-term location with minimal need for expansion. Doctors, dentists, lawyers, CPAs and other small firms typically find office condos ideal, so the trick for developers is how to market these properties to the right groups.

Yep, that came out wrong : ) - sorry let me try again.

I agree there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - also, believe it or not from what I recall 100% of the 200,000 square feet is leased now. Here's my point ... the sort of employment we really want in these prime locations are medium / large scale business - not desists / lawyers / - small 4/5 people businesses - and there's nothing wrong with them. Heck they can even be mixed in. But the fact that 100% of the space is leased tells me nothing in regards to the strength of the commercial sector here -the majority of these smaller business jobs are very much location based i.e. they need to be everywhere in the GTA - of course you'll find more marketing / lawyers and the like here but still.

We want to attract medium / large companies as well! They're really the key at the end of the day.

ps - I shouldn't say they were leased ... they were bought ...

Yep, that came out wrong : ) - sorry let me try again.

I agree there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - also, believe it or not from what I recall 100% of the 200,000 square feet is leased now. Here's my point ... the sort of employment we really want in these prime locations are medium / large scale business - not desists / lawyers / - small 4/5 people businesses - and there's nothing wrong with them. Heck they can even be mixed in. But the fact that 100% of the space is leased tells me nothing in regards to the strength of the commercial sector here -the majority of these smaller business jobs are very much location based i.e. they need to be everywhere in the GTA - of course you'll find more marketing / lawyers and the like here but still.

We want to attract medium / large companies as well! They're really the key at the end of the day.

ps - I shouldn't say they were leased ... they were bought ...

Hahaha.. for a moment there i thought when you said more harm than good was for a bunch of new condo brothels potentially opening up...:eek: .

And the porta-potty was not so lonesome today. A soil sampling drill rig was working in the south-east corner of the site today.

AHK

Actually, they were just drilling a few feet down to place anchors for more signs and billboards,... part of the boarding and fencing. You should know how Bazis works by now,... they're more concern with marketing their projects than actually working on them! :p

Bazis's EmeraldPark and Tridel's Hullmark Centre were both marketed and received final approval about the same time,... Interesting watching how quickly the Tridel Hullmark Centre construction is progressing on a site two times larger than the Bazis Emerald Park site. Tridel's Hullmark Centre already finished demolishing the old plaza at their site in September. They've been digging their foundation since then. Bazis EmeraldPark has been working on the boarding and fencing for the last month,... and still not finished,.... still haven't demolished that little bungalow on the north-west corner of their site.

If you want to see what soil sampling looks like,... just look across Yonge Street at the Hullmark Centre construction site:
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.p...e-(NYCC-Tridel-Hullmark-44-35s-Kirkor)/page38
See that construction tractor with the big white tower,... that's a rotary drilling rig,... that's what they use for soil sampling.

Actually, they were just drilling a few feet down to place anchors for more signs and billboards,... part of the boarding and fencing. You should know how Bazis works by now,... they're more concern with marketing their projects than actually working on them! :p

Are u joking or being serious? There was a soil sampling drill on site, I also saw it. As well, Bazis is a new player in a tougher market, has had some unfortunate times recently, and have a less desirable site. One is on the corner of sheppard and Yonge, the other is a block or two away to the south. One company has a long reputation for quality products in this market (interiorwise at least, regardless of whether one likes their exterior architecture and choice of architecture firms.) and the other is a new comer with less known reputation. Not easy breaking in to a tough market like Toronto's with many big local players already established I would guess.

Are u joking or being serious? There was a soil sampling drill on site, I also saw it. As well, Bazis is a new player in a tougher market, has had some unfortunate times recently, and have a less desirable site. One is on the corner of sheppard and Yonge, the other is a block or two away to the south. One company has a long reputation for quality products in this market (interiorwise at least, regardless of whether one likes their exterior architecture and choice of architecture firms.) and the other is a new comer with less known reputation. Not easy breaking in to a tough market like Toronto's with many big local players already established I would guess.

Hello Mckarisma,

Thanks for your comments. I found it hard to reply to the comment regarding the soil sampling rig at the Emerald Park site - portraying the Deep Foundations shoring machine at the Hullmark Centre site as a soil sampler is quite a stretch. I also did not know if they were joking, or seriously that ignorant.

AHK

The fencing sub contractors working at Emerald Park have been no more than 3 to 5 people for the last 4 to 6 weeks, with many days when no one was onsite at all.

The current work is the building of two large sections that will be joining to the fence at the northeast and southeast corners of the site. Presumably these 15 to 20 foot panels will have the large size ads for the project...renderings perhaps?

The site work has been minimal over the last three months as Sunnyray has reported above.

Back