The rental plan application is in abeyance at City Planning at the moment, but there has been no resubmission from First Gulf yet, so that's why the rental proposal was still in the presentation to the SLNA. Here's hoping for the First Gulf resubmission soon!

That's what I couldn't understand: First Gulf purchased this property awhile back and has other plans in mind as an office building. So why post an old render as bait to get people all up in arms about poor execution, blah, blah, blah; too much window wall/spandrel/grey blah, blah, blah; too much G+C architecture in the City, blah, blah, blah? Relax people. It won't look like the post above or any other project that gives people heart attacks and head shakes.

That's what I couldn't understand: First Gulf purchased this property awhile back and has other plans in mind as an office building. So why post an old render as bait to get people all up in arms about poor execution, blah, blah, blah; too much window wall/spandrel/grey blah, blah, blah; too much G+C architecture in the City, blah, blah, blah? Relax. It won't look like the post above.

For completeness' sake, for one. And as a stark warning, for another. If Planning is confident enough to put it in a public presentation that they've just given a week ago because that's currently what can be made public, I don't see any reason why one should refrain from posting it.

AoD

It's not that Planning are confident about it, it's that that happens to be the current submission, so they're showing it, even if work is not continuing on it.

It's not that Planning are confident about it, it's that that happens to be the current submission, so they're showing it, even if work is not continuing on it.

That's what I meant - that's what's on the books, hence that's what will be posted. Unless and until there is a new submission, marketing material doesn't constitute "reality".

AoD

25Ontario_April2016_1.png

25Ontario_April2016_3.png

25Ontario_April2016_2.png

25Ontario_April2016_5.png

25Ontario_April2016_6.png

more details, with a lovely quote from UT: http://firstgulf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/25Ontario_InfoPackage_NOV2015_LR.pdf

http://firstgulf.com/portfolio/25-ontario/

Thanks! I will be damned - it must be the first G+C proposal that didn't solicit an immediate gagging reaction. If it is G+C that is.

Having said that...close proximity to Union Station?

AoD

Last edited:
The orange split at the top is so small as to be barely noticeable, not sure why it's there. Seems like an odd choice.

I'm not very schooled on mid-century architecture, but is that 3-storey facade worth keeping? It doesn't interact with the street well. Otherwise I really like the design.

The heritage building is actually lovely. But regardless of what one thinks of it, this area is now a heritage conservation district, and that building is going nowhere.

Yeah, it's really not doing much for me either. It's heavy on the outside and dark on the inside. The rest is pretty good, if a little boring.

Back