Greater density with towers strategically place on the perimeter of the property however, the same inward facing development as the Pemberton towers for most of its block. We shouldn't expect more. You can't really urbanized a massive suburban arterial without addressing the scale of the street and the neighbourhood grid first.

Greater density with towers strategically place on the perimeter of the property however, the same inward facing development as the Pemberton towers for most of its block. We shouldn't expect more. You can't really urbanized a massive suburban arterial without addressing the scale of the street and the neighbourhood grid first.
That is true but it's not very difficult, lowering the speed limit, narrowing lane widths and adding plants close to the road would help to clam traffic or we could make a boulevard. I do think it's possible to have infill in front of the really really ugly Pemberton buildings by the Loblaws because the setbacks are so ginormous you can fit a whole building. I'd like to see like a 5 story one with retail on the ground floor

I'm not sure about narrowing lane widths. I would believe those are mandated by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. It would be difficult to subdivide these developed blocks into something more human scaled. Reducing the number of lanes of traffic and lower speed limits shouldn't be much of an issue aside from the politics of reducing lanes of traffics and reducing speeds.

There is still the matter of convincing those that purchased condos here to leave their satisfying autocentric lifestyle and try shopping locally, on foot, than the one stop regional store anchoring every big box mall they grew up around. Retail needs patrons. Vacant, abandoned retail is worst than anything.

I'm not sure about narrowing lane widths. I would believe those are mandated by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. It would be difficult to subdivide these developed blocks into something more human scaled. Reducing the number of lanes of traffic and lower speed limits shouldn't be much of an issue aside from the politics of reducing lanes of traffics and reducing speeds.

There is still the matter of convincing those that purchased condos here to leave their satisfying autocentric lifestyle and try shopping locally, on foot, than the one stop regional store anchoring every big box mall they grew up around. Retail needs patrons. Vacant, abandoned retail is worst than anything.
Narrowing lane widths is not an MTO thing - Toronto has lanes as narrow as 2.8m wide. Toronto's road standard is 3.2m wide shoulder lanes with 3m centre lanes.

Compare to here, where the curb to median is 11.2m. In Toronto that same configuration would be 9.2m with the same lane count.

Narrowing lane widths is not an MTO thing - Toronto has lanes as narrow as 2.8m wide. Toronto's road standard is 3.2m wide shoulder lanes with 3m centre lanes.

Compare to here, where the curb to median is 11.2m. In Toronto that same configuration would be 9.2m with the same lane count.
i was going to say that :( :( :mad::mad:

also Eglinton and Erin mills intersection needs to be redesigned yesterday, it's so so bad

DJI_0210.JPG
DJI_0214.JPG

This area isn't meant to be a suburban downtown node like MCC or a condo cluster around suburban subway stations like along Sheppard. It's a suburban condo strip around a mall. Something similar is growing along Jane near Vaughan Mills mall, although it's taking a long time to get going there.

Last edited:
This area isn't meant to be a suburban downtown node like MCC or a condo cluster around suburban subway stations like along Sheppard. It's a suburban condo strip around a mall. Something similar is growing along Jane near Vaughan Mills mall, although it's taking a long time to get going there.
The city has other ideas

Back