Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good luck convincing politicians to break into the Yellow Belt - those homes might as well be surrounded by moats with alligators.
While alligators (Alligator mississippiensis ) are slightly better at surviving our clime...they tend to be a bit docile if they're really not disturbed, especially in the colder months. Instead more effectively, what these homeowners need are saltwater crocs (Crocodylus porosus) that would not hesitate chomping down anyone showing up to said homeowners' drawbridges in a suit with a briefcase in hand. The only thing that these homeowners would need is to keep them comfortably warm (and salinated) during our Winters without becoming a convenient food source themselves...

Last edited:
There is a report on the Office Modernization Strategy headed to the Nov 18th Executive Ctte mtg.

Said report is here: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-158077.pdf

There is a graphic w/some timelines, here:

1605019398343.png

Note an occupancy date of Q1 2026.

Quite the reduction in quality of the building material, IMO. Here is the original render compared with the updated docs:
1630431125427.png

1630431158931.png

Where is the Westwood sign that's supposed to be integrated into the design?
What happened to the terraces in the green roofs from the original design? Now they're all just green roofs with no access.
The cladding is obviously drastically different as well. Not sure if it's an improvement or not.
Most importantly, where is the rooftop track?! 🤣 To be fair, I'd much rather a track be indoors than outdoors.

Quite the reduction in quality of the building material, IMO. Here is the original render compared with the updated docs:
View attachment 345356
View attachment 345357

What happened to the terraces in the green roofs from the original design? Now they're all just green roofs with no access.
The cladding is obviously drastically different as well. Not sure if it's an improvement or not.
Most importantly, where is the rooftop track?! 🤣 To be fair, I'd much rather a track be indoors than outdoors.

If you look at the new architectural plans - there is a new indoor track.

AoD

View attachment 345356
View attachment 345357

Sadly, none of this is unexpected from a government project. If they'd spent the money to build it as shown in the original design people would have been screaming about "wasteful government spending". Plus what do you expect from a city where we consistently raise property taxes below the rate of inflation? We just don't have the (public) money for nice things in Toronto unfortunately.

It's gold, not beige.

AoD

As with choosing paint colours, I feel that one should always look beyond the marketing names in favour of what colour you literally see in front of you.

What makes it gold? The renderings show beige-brown in my eyes. Real gold is the likes of Royal Bank Plaza.

Back