Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many of you live in the area? I moved here in the mid 90's because it wasn't densely populated and there was so much greenery. This whole development is making want to leave here as soon as I can, I rather see this density in the downtown core and not so much here. There will be so much traffic and more drivers that shouldn't be on the road.

Little off topic but I saw a land lease sign from pinnacle on shorncliff property so there maybe a some stalling with the condo boom.
Just to add my two cents. I'm in the area and I am so excited about this. It's not only those outside the community who are in favour of more density here. Yes, it won't end up being as perfect as the renderings and there may be new problems to figure out but at least we'll be able to walk/bike in the area without playing frogger with the cars and some vibrancy will be added to the main streets with smaller retail instead of car dealerships. The increased population will also support better retail/restaurants etc. When getting on the subway I actually used to walk to Islington station instead of Kipling because every time I walked to Kipling I'd have a near death experience trying to cross those on-ramps. I do not miss that spaghetti junction and am glad to see density replacing it. Looking at these plans I'm seeing new parks replacing abandoned lots.. I see a net greenery gain here. Now if they could only come to a deal to redevelop the old honeydale lands..

The new civic centre itself should be amazing as well. Assuming no covid money delays stall it. Actually - those with more experience with these things, what would you say the odds are of something like happening at this point in the approval process?

DJI_0047.JPG
DJI_0048.JPG
DJI_0049.JPG
DJI_0050.JPG

Tridel's website for their Westerly project has a rendering of the Henning Larsen ECC design that I haven't seen before:

1602091435392.png

Beautiful proposed rendering of the city hall seen in the photos up above ! Love the mirrored window's with the golden trim aditude going on and greenery cascading on the rooftops etc !

CreateTO is too afraid to present higher densities to City Planning.

Typically the way it has gone, sadly, is that CreateTO basically lets Planning, in consultation with the local councillor, define the heights and densities for their sites. This is obviously problematic.

Typically the way it has gone, sadly, is that CreateTO basically lets Planning, in consultation with the local councillor, define the heights and densities for their sites. This is obviously problematic.
Yeah, like it or not but development in this city is very much a "negotiation" between the applicant and the city.

With these CreateTO sites, one side on the negotiation table is effectively negotiating with both of their hands tied behind their backs.

The density would be plenty here if we could also convert some of the nearby bungalows seen above that take up all the space into small apartment buildings.

Good luck convincing politicians to break into the Yellow Belt - those homes might as well be surrounded by moats with alligators.

Back