11 January 2014: Good Morning King West :)
1ylm.jpg

q3em.jpg

And then it struck me why there's concrete walls at grade on Adelaide: to prevent vehicles on Maud accidently crashing into someone's bedroom at FH.

sd6c.jpg

uti4.jpg

I love the red curtains, but I hope they have a plan to avoid fading, as red is always the fastest colour to fade. Too much sunlight and they will have pink curtains in a few years time.

Because the developer installed these curtains, it will be left up to the residents to deal with fading curtains down the road - either individually or collectively through the corporation.

Not all the suites have these curtains either, so it would be interesting to find out who has the primary responsibility to take care opt them - suite owner or corporation?

The red curtains don't look that vibrant in person, but it definitely makes this sharp-looking building stand out even more.
I'm also interested if there are any special declarations or rules in the condo documents preventing anyone from replacing or removing these curtains. I'm sure it's treated just like any rule that requires window coverings be of a certain colour. It will be tricky down the line when the curtains will need to be replaced to ensure all of the red curtains are of all of exactly the same colour -- they will probably need to be all replaced at the same time.

I don't think the tall concrete walls surronding the ground floor patios are there to prevent cars from smashing in to the ground floor units. It's more for privacy as Adelaide gets a bit of car and foot traffic, especially weekend with all of the bar and club goers at night. I still think a tall hedge with an iron gate would be more appropriate and less brutal-looking.

Too bad the red curtains, curtain wall and other design elements don't appear on the Adelaide Street side. It looks almost to blend in with the neighbouring 10 Morrison building -- too bad, as it looks very bland and takes a back seat to the King Street side.

The red curtains are written into the condo docs and will be the corporation's to maintain, as are the led lights to make them glow. All owners will share in the costs of maintaining those, and that is the price of fashion.

Not all the units will have the curtains in the 560 King building, so some lucky residents get to underwrite what will be maintained in another suite.

Every unit, however, will benefit from the building's unified presence as expressed through those curtains…

so no-one should grumble about the expense. Besides, anyone buying here would or should have known about it when signing on the dotted line.

Really? No one should grumble? The owners can grumble about whatever they see fit to grumble about. The "presence" is hardly unified on the north side of the building. Just slip down Morrison Street and take a look.

Whether or not your particular unit comes with the red curtains, you will nevertheless enjoy the prestige that comes with living in a neighbourhood landmark.

Whether or not your particular unit comes with the red curtains, you will nevertheless enjoy the prestige that comes with living in a neighbourhood landmark.

I live in this neighbourhood, this building is so poorly executed, feeling cheap in both the day-time and night-time conditions. I was hoping the public realm would at least improve the quality of the project, but the 1980's huron rose asphalt pavers are a step backwards.

I live in this neighbourhood, this building is so poorly executed, feeling cheap in both the day-time and night-time conditions. I was hoping the public realm would at least improve the quality of the project, but the 1980's huron rose asphalt pavers are a step backwards.

This development is not finished yet, just give it some time. Once the building starts to be occupied, it should make a big difference.
I wouldn't go so far as calling it a landmark, but it's indeed a nice addition to the King West strip.

It's too bad that the LED light strips are not continuous and the unfortunate location of the exterior wall vents forces the light strip to kick down a foot lower than the rest of the lighting. The colour of the lighting appear a bit on the cool and harsh side like florescent lighting. I was hoping it was going to be a nice warm glow, but that could be just the photo. I'll check it out in person and hopefully take more pics.

This development is not finished yet, just give it some time. Once the building starts to be occupied……..

Agree - the building is not finished yet, however it is being occupied. New residents started moving into the building about a month ago, and have been moving in steadily since then.

Back