You're not genuinely supporting it until you buy a unit.

A fair point, but I already bought somewhere else and when I did go to look at the Freed projects (not this one in particular) I found them to be very much out of my price range.

second extension, another 6 months, now is May 2010 for the economic viability condition

Holy smokes! The buyers now have to really think hard about this project and whether they allow the extension. One thing buyers should also know is that Freed has not even started getting variances from the City through the Committee of Adjustments. Nothing. There is stalling of some sort going on here.

650 King St. seems to be moving nowhere as well. Tough one. What hope is there?

Holt Renfrew at Fashion House Sales Office

Buy a condo that doesn't seem to want to get built.......get a free alligator shirt upgrade!

Thanks to the folks at MartiniBoys:

We're big pop-up shop connoisseurs here at martiniboys.com, but even we're surprised to see Holt Renfrew throwing its hat into the temporary-retail ring. Usually the pop-up shops are used as a method to build buzz for a smaller, boutique fashion retailer or to build buzz about a specific small-run line. Holt's, however, is a high-end fashion powerhouse, and this is no small-scale pop-up.

The Holt's pop-up will be moving into the sales centre of King West's Fashion House condominium development. It's hard to imagine a more fitting environment for the shop. Every floor of the Freed Developments condo will eventually be built by a different Canadian designer, many of whom have been carried by Holt Renfrew. During the five days that the shop is running, many of these designers, including Jeremy Laing, Mikhael Kale and Dean Davidson will be stopping in to act as onsite stylists and sales associates.

Since it's open during December, it would be easy to assume that the shop will be a Christmas pop-up, but Holt's is insisting it's not holiday focused. Instead, it's a carefully chosen selection of Holt Renfrews men's, women's, accessories and gifts, edited and curated by Barbara Atkin herself, Vice President of Holt Renfrew Fashion Direction. Rather than showcasing one product line or designer in focus, the store is meant to deliver "a shared shopping experience" unspecific to gender or price. The unisex approach is meant to represent the blurred lines between male and female fashion. – R.T.

The Holt Renfrew pop-up shop will run from Wednesday, December 2 until Sunday, December 6.

Buy a condo that doesn't seem to want to get built.......get a free alligator shirt upgrade!

Thanks to the folks at MartiniBoys:

We're big pop-up shop connoisseurs here at martiniboys.com, but even we're surprised to see Holt Renfrew throwing its hat into the temporary-retail ring. Usually the pop-up shops are used as a method to build buzz for a smaller, boutique fashion retailer or to build buzz about a specific small-run line. Holt's, however, is a high-end fashion powerhouse, and this is no small-scale pop-up.

The Holt's pop-up will be moving into the sales centre of King West's Fashion House condominium development. It's hard to imagine a more fitting environment for the shop. Every floor of the Freed Developments condo will eventually be built by a different Canadian designer, many of whom have been carried by Holt Renfrew. During the five days that the shop is running, many of these designers, including Jeremy Laing, Mikhael Kale and Dean Davidson will be stopping in to act as onsite stylists and sales associates.

Since it's open during December, it would be easy to assume that the shop will be a Christmas pop-up, but Holt's is insisting it's not holiday focused. Instead, it's a carefully chosen selection of Holt Renfrews men's, women's, accessories and gifts, edited and curated by Barbara Atkin herself, Vice President of Holt Renfrew Fashion Direction. Rather than showcasing one product line or designer in focus, the store is meant to deliver "a shared shopping experience" unspecific to gender or price. The unisex approach is meant to represent the blurred lines between male and female fashion. – R.T.

The Holt Renfrew pop-up shop will run from Wednesday, December 2 until Sunday, December 6.

Does this have something to do with the big line-up I saw outside the Fashion House office at 8am this morning? I was wondering what so many people were doing in line that early in the morning. I figured it was just part of Toronto's reemerging condo-mania. Nothing surprises me anymore.

hey

i might be purchasing a unit in the adelaide building of fashion house.
I have read this entire thread through and i dont seem to sense a liking towards the entire Fashion house from you guys.
Do you guys think its a bad building/ investment? (fashion house)
the location is priime in my opinion.
also, can anyone assist me with the past prices...am not sure whether or not the prices am being quoted are infact raised prices or whether prices remained the same since sales started(i think a year back or so).

right now the cheapest available according to the sales centre are
567sq ft on 6th floor going for $289,900
613sq ft on 6th floor going for $314,900(has a 8X8 study)
538sq ft on 6th floor going for $279,000
585sq ft on 10th floor going for $329,900
For those familiar with the building and floor plans, which do you think is the most practical? They all do not include parking or locker at those prices.

thanks
just1time

Bro,
I am pretty sure that prices have risen since VIPs were given choice of suites in spring of 2008. I was one of them but threw that stuff out a long time ago. If you look through the thread, you might find original pricing info.

As for your floorplans, best thing to do get feedback is to post the plan and the location of the suite on the building's floorplate (ie faces east, west north etc.). It is very important you understand where your suite is compared to the buildings existing or proposed around the site. For example, are you aware of Allied's office building which will sit directly to the east that will block all of your east views?

Post some meat, and you will get more feedback.
S'Bus

Also compare to other buildings in the area in pre-construction like........
400 Wellington....yea!
signed...completely biased and shameless plug

hey just1time

hey
Im new here and not an expert or anything.. but those prices seem crazy to me! they vary from 515-560/sqft .. I wonder if your property will appreciate in time? And I am sure that these are inflated prices fromn the origional
I dunno I bought a condo in the east end - 800sqft for 329 (precon a year and half ago or so) that also has a 250sqft terrace.

I like the look and the concept of this building.. but I think its over priced like most "fashion" and Chic does not have to be expensive!

Hope my opinion helps :)

Leslieville - stage east lofts
just giving a comparison, and I know its not central kind west.. but those prices seem redic to me

This beast is finally going to the CofA on Feb 24th.

City Planning Division
Gary Wright, Chief Planner and Executive Director
Committee of Adjustment
100 Queen Street West
Toronto ON M5H 2N2
Tel: 416-392-7565
Fax: 416-392-0580
Pub Hearing Notice - MV Page 1
FILE COPY
Mailed on/before: Thursday, February 4, 2010
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
MINOR VARIANCE/PERMISSION
(Section 45 of the Planning Act)
MEETING DATE AND TIME: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at 2:30 P.M.
LOCATION: Committee Room 2, Second Floor, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St W, M5H 2N2
File Number: A0074/10TEY Zoning RA (PPR)
Owner(s): 560 KING DEVELOPMENTS
LTD
[
Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20)
Agent: ADAM BROWN
SHERMAN BROWN DRYER
KAROL GOLD LEBOW
Property Address: 560 KING ST W Community:
Legal Description: MILITARY RES BLK G PT LT22
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To redevelop the subject L-shaped property, abutting King Street West to the south and Adelaide Street West to
the north, as follows: an 11-storey building (Adelaide Building) with four levels of underground parking and 104
residential units will be constructed over north Adelaide Street West portion of the property; a12-storey, mixeduse
building (King Building), containing 230 residential units and grade-related retail space will be constructed on
the south King Street West portion of the property. The existing four-storey and partial two-storey heritage
building, located over the southwest portion of the property, will be renovated and occupied by retail and office
uses.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 12 (2) 246 (E), By-law 438-86
A minimum of 188 on-site residential parking spaces and 20 on-site visitor parking spaces are required to be
provided.
In this case, 147 residential parking spaces will be provided, with no (0) spaces being designated for visitors.
2. Section 12(2) 246(C), By-law 438-86
No portion of the building shall be located more than 50 m from a street.
Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) Decision PL060823 permitted a portion of the King Building to be located more
than 50 m from a street.
In this case, a portion of the Adelaide Building will be located more than 50 m from a street.
Pub Hearing Notice - MV Page 2
3. Section 12(2) 132, By-law 438-86
Commercial parking garages are not permitted in an RA Zone.
In this case, a portion of the underground parking garage will be used for the purpose of a commercial garage.
4. Section 7(3) Part II. 7. E, By-law 438-86
The maximum permitted projection of a balcony into the required setback is 1.5 m measured from the wall to
which they are attached.
In this case, the proposed balconies will project up to 2.20 m into the required setback measured from the wall to
which they are attached.
5. Section 7(3) Part II 1(II), By-law 438-86
Exterior walls that face each other must be separated by a minimum distance of 11 m.
In this case, the east and north exterior walls of the King Building are located 3 m and 4.75 m respectively from
the heritage building.
6. Section 4(12), By-law 438-86
A minimum of 668 m² of indoor residential amenity space, containing a kitchen and a washroom, and 668 m² of
outdoor residential amenity space shall be provided.
In this case, 80.0 m² of indoor residential amenity space will be provided and will not contain a kitchen or a
washroom. Further, 565.0 m² of outdoor residential amenity space will be provided.
7. Section 7(3) Part II 1(i), By-law 438-86
No person shall erect or use a building or structure in an RA district, any part of which is located closer than
7.5 m to a side lot line or a rear lot line, excluding any part of a building or structure located within 25 metres of a
lot line that abuts a street, other than a public lane, or a public park.
OMB Decision PL060823 permitted a portion of the King Building, located beyond 25 m of a street, to have a 0
m setback from the side and rear lot lines.
In this case, the portion of the Adelaide Building, located beyond 25 m from Adelaide Street West, will have a 0
m setback from the east and west side lot lines.
8. Section 7(3) Part II 8, By-law 438-86, amended by By-law 922-2006
A window of a dwelling unit shall not be located closer than 15 m from a window of another dwelling unit on the
same lot, or within 7.5 m of a lot line that is not a street line.
In this case:
(i) The dwelling unit windows of the King Building are located 12.5 m from the dwelling unit windows of the
Adelaide Building;
(ii) The dwelling unit windows on the King Building a located 1.2 m and 5.8 m from west and north lot lines
which do not abut a street.
(iii) The dwelling units on the Adelaide Building are located 5.5 m from the west lot line, which does not abut a
street.
9. Section 4(2)(a), By-law 438-86
The maximum permitted building height is 23.0 m.
OMB Decision PL060823 permitted a maximum building height of 39.5 m over the south King Street West
portion of the property.
In this case, the King Building will have a height of 40.1 m measured to the parapet and the Adelaide Building
will have a height of 35.68 m measured to the parapet.
10. Section 4.17, By-law 438-86
The minimum dimensions for an obstructed parking space is 2.9 m x 5.6 m.
In this case, 3 parking spaces will be obstructed and will have dimensions of 2.6 m x 5.6 m.
THE COMMITTEE OF ADJUSTMENT & MINOR VARIANCES
The role of the Committee of Adjustment is to provide flexibility in dealing with minor adjustments to zoning bylaw
requirements. To approve such variances, the Committee must be satisfied that:
Pub Hearing Notice - MV Page 3
• the variance requested is minor;
• the proposal is appropriate for the development of the land and/or building;
• the general intent and purpose of the City's Zoning Code and/or By-law are maintained; and
• the general intent and purpose of the Official Plan are maintained.
The Committee of Adjustment forms its opinion through its detailed review of all material filed with an
application, letters received, deputations made at the public hearing and results of site inspections.
MAKING YOUR VIEWS KNOWN
The notice has been mailed to you, as required by the Planning Act, to ensure that, as an interested person, you
may make your views known by:
• Attending the Public Hearing. Attendant Care Services can be made available with some advance notice.
• Sending a letter by Mail or Fax. Information you choose to disclose in your correspondence will be used to
receive your views on the relevant issue(s) to enable the Committee to make its decision on this matter. This
information will become part of the public record.
If you do not attend the public hearing, or express your views in writing, the Committee may make a decision in
your absence, and may recommend changes to the proposal
TO VIEW THE MATERIALS IN THE APPLICATION FILE
Attend the Committee of Adjustment office at the above address Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Plans
filed with the application will not be photocopied.
RECEIVING A COPY OF THE COMMITTEE'S DECISION
• The Committee will announce its decision on the application at the Public Hearing.
• To receive a copy of the Decision, fill out the Decision Request Form at our office or at the Public Hearing or
write a letter requesting a copy of the Decision and send it to our office.
• If you wish to appeal a Decision of the Committee to the Ontario Municipal Board, you must file your written
request for a decision with the Deputy Secretary-Treasurer.
For more information please telephone our office. Call Nicole Ivanov, (416) 392-7612, Office of the
Committee of Adjustment, Toronto City Hall, Toronto, ON, M5H 2N2.
Anita M. MacLeod
Manager & Deputy Secretary Treasurer
Toronto and East York Panel

Because it's not allowed.

No new surface parking lots are to be built in this part of the city.

One reason why Fashion House may proceed is that Allied Properties bought a whack of parking spaces and about half the retail space.

Back