Wow I like this but it really has the potential to be overdone. Hopefully it's tasteful. Whenever I look up at the CN Tower I nod my head in amazement. We're living in the city of the future that some artists imagined back in the 70s and 80s. But now add Trump and FCP and we're really starting to go there.

I emailed the company that is implementing the Infinity lighting system on the building. Here is what they had to say:

"That is great you saw the GVA article in the Globe and Mail, we were quite pleased to be included in the Report on Business. Using our INFINITY technology, we are proposing to light up the corners of the building vertically to delineate the building."

She gave no indication that there will be lighting along the roof line. I replied and asked about that and when the lighting will make it's first appearance. I'll give more info when I receive it.

I emailed the company that is implementing the Infinity lighting system on the building. Here is what they had to say:

"That is great you saw the GVA article in the Globe and Mail, we were quite pleased to be included in the Report on Business. Using our INFINITY technology, we are proposing to light up the corners of the building vertically to delineate the building."

I know the company and while I haven't asked them about this at all, I think it's important to note the bolded word above.

What makes you skeptical?

Skeptical implies that I doubt it will happen, which is not what I said.

I was noting that it's probably wise for people getting all twisted with excitement to understand that it's currently at the proposal stage - something that may or may not happen - and not something that is due to be unveiled at any moment.

GVA makes very high quality products and has had some high profile installations. The article is a good one and they're deserving of the praise, but I think the writer may have created a false impression about a lighting feature that may or may not happen on this particular high profile building.

I'd love to see it happen, but let's wait until it's confirmed before getting ahead of ourselves.

What does WopChop's comment refer to?

"The lighting feature at FCP was completed months ago. I'm not sure if there is some sort of schedule for using it, though. I've personally never seen it lit up at night, only during the day, and close-up."

Do you think he's referring to the horizontal band we saw above the BMO logo?

What does WopChop's comment refer to?

"The lighting feature at FCP was completed months ago. I'm not sure if there is some sort of schedule for using it, though. I've personally never seen it lit up at night, only during the day, and close-up."

Do you think he's referring to the horizontal band we saw above the BMO logo?
I can't answer for WopChop - but whatever it is, it wasn't from GVA.

I talked to the owner this morning, and here is what I can confirm for you:

Prior to the FCP re-cladding project, GVA was asked if they could provide certain light fixtures for the project. At the time, they could not, and as for what was being requested, it doesn't seem that anyone else was either. Whatever lighting feature WopChop is talking about, it is something else.

The new Infinity product line is something they've been working on for some time, but not being able to do the FCP job (as requested, ahead of their own roadmap for the product) was an additional inspiration to finally get the product out of the concept stage and into reality. This product now exists and the client is aware that GVA can now deliver the product as needed - but with the re-cladding complete it would have to be a retrofit project, and no decision has been made at this point.

It would have been much easier to execute with all the staging in place during the re-cladding work, but it's the kind of thing that can be installed with the usual swing stages if need be. Infinity requires far fewer power feeds and wall penetrations, which makes it superior to just about any similar product.

So... I hate to be a buzzkill since I'm an LED guy myself, but I think this myth has been busted.

I can't answer for WopChop - but whatever it is, it wasn't from GVA.

I talked to the owner this morning, and here is what I can confirm for you:

Prior to the FCP re-cladding project, GVA was asked if they could provide certain light fixtures for the project. At the time, they could not, and as for what was being requested, it doesn't seem that anyone else was either. Whatever lighting feature WopChop is talking about, it is something else.

The new Infinity product line is something they've been working on for some time, but not being able to do the FCP job (as requested, ahead of their own roadmap for the product) was an additional inspiration to finally get the product out of the concept stage and into reality. This product now exists and the client is aware that GVA can now deliver the product as needed - but with the re-cladding complete it would have to be a retrofit project, and no decision has been made at this point.

It would have been much easier to execute with all the staging in place during the re-cladding work, but it's the kind of thing that can be installed with the usual swing stages if need be. Infinity requires far fewer power feeds and wall penetrations, which makes it superior to just about any similar product.

So... I hate to be a buzzkill since I'm an LED guy myself, but I think this myth has been busted.

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it can be installed with swing stages, then what makes it unlikely that they'll use that option?

Marko's comments are consistent with the original G&M article that I linked.
(they were asked for an installation that wasn't technically feasible at the time, so it was not implemented, but they subsequently developed a suitable product (the article did not suggest that GVA is now installing it).

I don't think the possibility of there being lighting has been around long enough to be a "myth", but posts by the other forumers suggest that an alternate system may have been installed if a GVA system was not installed - I guess it's wait and see.

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. If it can be installed with swing stages, then what makes it unlikely that they'll use that option?
Brookfield has not decided to actually do it, that's what. It's not some $5,000 weekend install of some ribbon LEDs from the flea market. It's a large, involved, expensive project and since the the massive renovation is nearing it's completion, the money for additional frills has to come from somewhere else.

But you go ahead an hold your breath...

There was an event a couple of hours ago to celebrate the completion of the project. They are (or were) handing out free cupcakes from Oliver & Bonacini, and a bag with a little piece of the original marble:

Last edited:
Thanks FNTS, just picked up a piece. I saw some people carrying 2 bags but I felt silly going back to ask for another. :p

I got two, one for me and one for a co-worker. They were really relaxed about it, I didn't even finish asking when they were telling me "sure, no problem!"

I also must thank you for posting this. Managed to grab one myself too! All the way from Don Mills and Eglinton! (Got someone who was downtown to drop by for me :p)

Back