You were right Marko.

Here's my latest email exchange:

"I wanted to clarify this is a project we were asked to specify, although it is not a current project of ours. We did a rendering of what our lights would look like on the building (see attached). Personally, I am not sure where the project sits today and if they will be going ahead and lighting up the building and when. I could look into this a bit more if you want." She provided this rendering of what their lighting would look like.

We can thank our higher powers that they DIDN'T tart up the building like that.

We can thank our higher powers that they DIDN'T tart up the building like that.

Tart up? Would you rather our skyline sit in darkness and continue to look dull and lifeless, at night? Is Manhattan any less vibrant and beautiful with midtown heavily lit with LEDs? This is the tallest building in the country--why not have a little fun with it? Toronto's skyline is so bleak during the night; a little colour would improve it and make it less depressing in the winter, especially, when there is so little sunlight. The tapered steps to the crown of the TD Canada Trust building could use some LEDs as well, in my opinion. I don't know why Toronto is timid to live a little and highlight some of greatest structures...

And it's not certain that this won't go ahead. There's still a chance that this could come to fruition. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I've never found Toronto's skyline to be anything less than inspiring no matter the season, but I, too, welcome tasteful architectural lighting. Our historic buildings also deserve to be lit up. I don't know why architectural lighting is so neglected in Toronto. It's either overlooked or owners of buildings that do have architectural lighting often neglect it and switch it off after some time.

I've never found Toronto's skyline to be anything less than inspiring no matter the season, but I, too, welcome tasteful architectural lighting. Our historic buildings also deserve to be lit up. I don't know why architectural lighting is so neglected in Toronto. It's either overlooked or owners of buildings that do have architectural lighting often neglect it and switch it off after some time.

I can't figure it out either. It's absurd that buildings such the Canada Life Building, Royal York, Canada Permanent Building, St James Cathedral, Old City Hall, among many many others aren't adorned with decorative lighting. I've never seen any other city care so little about its most notable buildings. I've been emailing several building owners in the city, seeing if they're be interested in incorporating an exterior lighting system. Does anyone know who the landlord is for Commerce Court North? GWL Realty Advisors owns Commerce Court West, but the northern property isn't listed on their website.

Is there a directory that provides landlord info for buildings throughout the city? How does one go about finding out who owns a particular building?

Tart up? Would you rather our skyline sit in darkness and continue to look dull and lifeless, at night? Is Manhattan any less vibrant and beautiful with midtown heavily lit with LEDs? This is the tallest building in the country--why not have a little fun with it? Toronto's skyline is so bleak during the night; a little colour would improve it and make it less depressing in the winter, especially, when there is so little sunlight. The tapered steps to the crown of the TD Canada Trust building could use some LEDs as well, in my opinion. I don't know why Toronto is timid to live a little and highlight some of greatest structures...

And it's not certain that this won't go ahead. There's still a chance that this could come to fruition. We'll have to wait and see.

The drawing they sent makes it look like a class C office building out by the airport.

The drawing they sent makes it look like a class C office building out by the airport.

It's such a small picture--one can barely see the detail. And I'm sure it would look much nicer in reality, compared to some quick photo that was probably thrown together with Microsoft paint.

You were right Marko.

"I wanted to clarify this is a project we were asked to specify, although it is not a current project of ours. We did a rendering of what our lights would look like on the building (see attached). Personally, I am not sure where the project sits today and if they will be going ahead and lighting up the building and when. I could look into this a bit more if you want." She provided this rendering of what their lighting would look like.

View attachment 9597

Yuck! Looks like some office tower in Hong Kong. No thanks!

I asked one of the security guards at FCP, and she told me she thinks there's a few pieces left at the building management office, on the concourse level (past Harry Rosen and Rexall). Alas, I was leaving in a hurry so I couldn't go and confirm the info. Does anybody want to venture out and try? I'll only be back on Monday.

Perhaps. FCP's building operators were handing them out by the bunches at around 4 PM Thursday no doubt wanting to go home.

You were right Marko.

View attachment 9597

Good info Joe R., thank you. I like the idea of lighting up some buildings with LED, but I don't like this. I'd like to see some of our older stock lit up at night

Good info Joe R., thank you. I like the idea of lighting up some buildings with LED, but I don't like this. I'd like to see some of our older stock lit up at night

Definite agree- the tower doesn't need to be totally defined like this, some flood lighting in the notches or around the base would have been fine.

What happened to the Toronto Heritage Lighting Master Plan? Is that dead? It's pathetic how this city won't even light up something like the Gooderham Building. I don't know why we're so disinterested in our city's appearance.

some flood lighting in the notches or around the base would have been fine.

oooh yeah...hopefully in a nice sodium yellow or a harsh blue/green mercury vapour style ;)

You were right Marko.

View attachment 9597

The blue lights look ok, but I think if FCP were lit up in white, like below, it would look great.

326883722_59c6bcfc78_bx.jpg

This is the original image - I changed the blue to white.

BMO-HL copyx.jpg

Back