Back when Canada Tust was a separate trust company, everyone loved Canada Trust - Canada's favourite "bank". Anyone remember "8 to 8, six days straight". As a trust company they didnt have to follow the bankers hours and consequently they were open and available when all the banks were closed. Toronto Dominion on the other hand was the worst in costomer service and nobody liked them. One of the biggest reasons for buying Canada Trust was to buy their "good will". Using the name as part of their own was pure marketing on their part. Try to convince people they had changed and were now as wonderful as Canada Trust.

Last edited:
Way back in the early 80's I worked for a company that produced banking products for all the major institutions and we (along with the people we contacted at that bank) referred to them as BMO and pronounced it as Bee Ehm Oh, as if you were spelling out the initials. What I find unappealing is the way they have adopted the pronunciation of Beamo, as if it were a word.

It sounds like something a kid would say as you walked by and tried to read the initials.. "Hey mom, what does Beamo mean?"

Someone, a while back at at SSC said the sound of Beamo reminded him of a kitchen cleanser, so I made this:

4709764502_954b5fc620.jpg

It's financial freedom in a can!

What I find unappealing is the way they have adopted the pronunciation of Beamo, as if it were a word.
You are describing an acronym, of which there are many (NATO, AIDS, SQL, AWOL, FUBAR, BMO).

Last edited:
You are describing an acronym, of which there are many (NATO, AIDS, SQL, BMO).

Thank you, I know what it is called... You missed my point however. My point is: It never was an acronym before, yet now has through colloquial use, been changed into one and I think it sounds silly.

(Oh, and FYI colloquial means: Characteristic of informal spoken language or conversation)

Thank you, I know what it is called... You missed my point however. My point is: It never was an acronym before, yet now has through colloquial use, been changed into one and I think it sounds silly.

(Oh, and FYI colloquial means: Characteristic of informal spoken language or conversation)

I think it sounds just fine... to each their own.

You'll have to forgive me for missing the point. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt since being annoyed by such a thing would be ridiculously anal-retentive.

I saw a half dozen "TD Bank" locations in Manhattan late last year.

Last edited:
That's because TD merged with Canada Trust to become TD Canada Trust.. I can even remember the old Canada Trusts.. so that means it must have been pretty darn recent..

I remember Canada Trust. I remember the merger. But no one calls it TD Canada Trust. Just TD.

I saw a half dozen "TD Bank" locations in Manhattan late last year.

Ditto with Philly. The Bruins and Celtics play out of the TD Garden in Boston named after TD Bank, "America's Most Convenient Bank". And not to be outdone, the Hurricanes play out of the RBC Center in Raleigh, NC.

Ditto with Philly. The Bruins and Celtics play out of the TD Garden in Boston named after TD Bank, "America's Most Convenient Bank". And not to be outdone, the Hurricanes play out of the RBC Center in Raleigh, NC.

I like how our banks chose to buy the naming rights to hockey arenas of all the major league sports venues available.

I like how our banks chose to buy the naming rights to hockey arenas of all the major league sports venues available.

I guess it works on two fronts: 1) it works for Canadian viewers watching a hockey game in Philadelphia or Boston and 2) it helps build their respective brands in those two cities.

I remember Canada Trust. I remember the merger.
Same here. Being in the sign biz, I paid attentions as it was a huge national project where they rebranded many hundreds of locations in a couple of weeks.

Funny story about Canada Trust... I was out somewhere with my grandparents this summer, and for some reason or other they needed to get cash from the bank. I said to just use their card at any old ATM instead of going to the bank and I got that look. They had never used their dedit card. My grandmother asks if it works at any machine and I said yes, so she reaches into her purse and hands me the brown and orange 'Johnny Cash' card from about 15 years ago. I was stunned for a moment and regret, in hindsight, not even trying the card to see if it worked - they decided they could go the rest of the day without the usual $500 cash hidden in my grandfather's hat.

Back