News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

the core has better services yet its pays lower property tax. The suburbs have fewer services and higher taxes. The core is now short of money, what should the core do????

:rolleyes:

the core has better services yet its pays lower property tax.

Are you *sure* the core has better CITY PROVIDED services (per capita basis please for things like litter pickup and street cleaning)? Every time I look at this kind of thing it turns out the extra services are funded by the local BIA.

Some departments certainly spend more downtown (clean and beautiful) but others are quite a bit lower (snow clearing).

You're right. Brampton only has four full library branches, the same number in 1990. Pathetic, eh? Though it has a better rec centre system than most others in the GTA.

They have two "interm" branches now to serve the northeast and northwest. Brampton needs at least seven branches, plus a real full-size central/reference library.

Well maybe it should be. The 905 can hardly be blamed if Toronto decided to built terribly poorly-designed social housing complexes which were pretty much inevitably bound to descend into ghettos. The suggestion that poor people do not exist in the 905 is absurd. The percentage may be different from the City of Toronto, but that doesn't mean that the 905 should somehow be ashamed that they aren't "Carrying their load" of the poor. It could be just as easily argued that Toronto does a poor job of helping people out of poverty.

For those interested in Poverty in Peel, take a look at this URL --The Social Planning Council of Peel

and if you really want to go deep this second Peel Social URL.

Also, I put a Peel Regional Council presentation onto Google Video a while back (before I really got the hang of video)

Immigration in Peel

and another during the same Peel Regional Immigration in Peel debate featuring Carolyn Parrish.

We have Throw-Away-People and our own lucky lives are dependent on their not-being.

Correct syn. When McCallion fights for more funding from the Province or the Feds that's called Mississauga Leading Today for Tomorrow.

That's so true Muse.

With respect to the article posted above: it never ceases to amaze me how many municipal politicians work at having small minds or narrow perspectives. It's enjoybale to read how some of them defend their "high" rates of taxation, potentially terrified that some other jurisdiction has lower taxes.

If everyone just elevated all taxes at the same time, they'd feel safe!

Back