/\ I'm sorry but I still don't understand what is so egregious about those balconies. Where's Cal when you need him?!

Nothing is wrong with them.... just some differences of opinion. Some people like vanilla ice cream and some people like something more exciting...

Yeah, exciting, like this:

vm01vl1.jpg
vm03vo6.jpg
2373695117b815838ec5jp0.jpg

(VM-housing, copenhagen, JDS Architects+PLOT)

Although, once again, I suppose Grazziani & Corrazza should be praised for trying something new and funky, even if it did turn out about as funky as Zellers. We're getting there!

Yeah, exciting, like this:

vm01vl1.jpg
vm03vo6.jpg
2373695117b815838ec5jp0.jpg

(VM-housing, copenhagen, JDS Architects+PLOT)

Although, once again, I suppose Grazziani & Corrazza should be praised for trying something new and funky, even if it did turn out about as funky as Zellers. We're getting there!

you dont like the fly balconies but you like those??? those are terrible. not to mention completely impractical...

you dont like the fly balconies but you like those??? those are terrible. not to mention completely impractical...

In fact, these are highly practical. These are not arbitrary shapes; they are derived from an analysis of sun, views, scale and space-making between the units (on a sunny day, they work to accomplish some great optical illusion effects). Their triangular plan is experienced, to a large degree, as an extension of the angular geometry of the buildings. They are loud, but not incoherent. G+C have established no such basis on Fly Condos, but they're trying hard with the thick transparent angular sides.

At first glance, you wonder about the value of the spaces produced, but they are quite successful and well-used as you can see from this enlarged pic. This is a funktionalist approach done correctly.

Incidentally, this project was a finalist for the 2007 Mies van der Rohe Award for Contemporary Architecture.

Fly.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder if FLY's western balconies will affects 300's sales to the Asian market since the pointed balconies are like daggers and bad feng shui for those in its' path.

Hmmm, I wonder if FLY's western balconies will affects 300's sales to the Asian market since the pointed balconies are like daggers and bad feng shui for those in its' path.

I believe those pointed balconies are on the west side of the building, while 300 is to the east. They won't be pointing to 300

Sorry, you are correct. I got my orientation mixed up.
Is there anything to the west of FLY?

not right now ... its just a parking lot (until somebody comes in with a condo proposal ... which would be expected IMO :cool:)

Sorry, you are correct. I got my orientation mixed up.
Is there anything to the west of FLY?

not right now ... its just a parking lot (until somebody comes in with a condo proposal ... which would be expected IMO :cool:)

• Parcel is just under one acre in size
  • Massing will reflect the Tridel building (Element) to the east
  • 24s along Front with a 22s wing extending north
    [*]Mid-block connector street to extend north from Front and connect the Clarence square and provide access to parking
    [*]Mid-block connector will provide an 18m wide view corridor & pedestrian connection that lines up with the view between Apex & Matrix towers
  • Retail component facing Front Street
  • Two floor lobby entrance at west end
  • Vehicle entrance is at back
  • The proposed Fly condo will line up with the Tridel building and pull-back from the property line at the 12th floor - this lines up with the height of Tridel's blank wall at the property line.
  • Sculptural element will face west on the west face of building
  • A 4s base on Front St will form a continuous base with the Tridel building that also has a 4s base
  • 9.5 FSI (Tridel was 11)
  • Knock-out panels to be provided in some units

So... there you have your answer in orange: there will be a north-south street for those pointy balconies to hang out over, and then west of that new street someday another building replacing a parking lot. If that new building west of Fly also happens to be condos those buyers can decide whether or not they want to face pointy balconies: luckily the City pays no heed to feng shui hokum when buildings go up.

maybe that works in denmark, but I don't think it would fly here in Toronto
True. Toronto is quite 'provincial' when it comes to architecture. I like this building, but it would be a difficult sell in YYZ. The only times archtiects were daring was for government-assisted housing, and that really is not being built anymore.

Fly.jpg

This could be a consideration, believe it or not.

Back