If we're keeping the Gardiner here, with all its on- and off-ramps, we could at least use something like this to facilitate pedestrian access:

2677994896_b44148fb5c.jpg

How about a "PATH" under Lakeshore, from say about Front and Spadina down to the lake? (It already sort of exists, via Skydome/CN tower. Build a tunnel with a shopping mall (through Leon's/Roundhouse or Convention Centre) above.

Well, an underground path would cost more to build than a bridge I think. Also I doubt many people would walk around a path to go shopping or otherwise path shops wouldn't just open during office hours? If there was a mall near the CN Tower, then a path would be an asset. It would help draw people who visit skydome, CN Tower or ACC to stop by the mall to shop. Also for those shopping, it might help draw crowds to visit skydome, CN Tower, etc. However I don't seem them having any plans to add a shopping mall there. A shopping mall and aquarium would be a good attraction for the area with so many tourists visiting there and especially with so many residentials being built.

I prefer the domestically-concieved SkyPATH idea, which replaces both the Gardiner AND the rail corridor.

image058jo8.jpg

This is getting wildly off-topic, though. There are a lot of Gardiner threads in T&I if anyone feels like resurrecting one.

Well, an underground path would cost more to build than a bridge I think. Also I doubt many people would walk around a path to go shopping or otherwise path shops wouldn't just open during office hours? If there was a mall near the CN Tower, then a path would be an asset. It would help draw people who visit skydome, CN Tower or ACC to stop by the mall to shop. Also for those shopping, it might help draw crowds to visit skydome, CN Tower, etc. However I don't seem them having any plans to add a shopping mall there. A shopping mall and aquarium would be a good attraction for the area with so many tourists visiting there and especially with so many residentials being built.

For that matter, consider how ill-fated the retail in Skywalk has been...

For that matter, consider how ill-fated the retail in Skywalk has been...

There was retail in the Skywalk? Was that in the big hall with the arched ceiling BEFORE it crosses the tracks. WOW! I always told myself when going by there that it would be a great place for reatail.

I remember being a kid visiting Toronto and that hall was full of mainly sports related stores. I remember there being a lot of card shops and, being a baseball-loving 11 year old, was pretty impressed.

There was retail in the Skywalk? Was that in the big hall with the arched ceiling BEFORE it crosses the tracks. WOW! I always told myself when going by there that it would be a great place for reatail.
There were food court businesses in the big section that looks like an airport where the PCL offices are now. I remember a Baskin Robins, New York Fries, etc. They might have survived if the area south of here had the density that it does today instead of the brownfields it had back in '89-mid 90s. Or if the Union Station thoroughfare was designed better.

If we're keeping the Gardiner here, with all its on- and off-ramps, we could at least use something like this to facilitate pedestrian access:

2677994896_b44148fb5c.jpg

pedestrian walkway connection such as this would be great under the Gardiner (enclosed of course, we have winters afterall) ... this is from Shanghai ??

^ Tokyo. One of the things that really impressed me about Tokyo was the fact that their elevated expressways cut through urban areas without killing the street life in them. People seem to have no problem strolling around and underneath them, which really goes a long way in humanizing their presence.

Granted, few of those are as wide as the Gardiner and its ramps, but it almost seems like we leave a wide swathe of death all around the expressway on purpose.

I think it works there partly because the freeway is easy to cross, but mostly because there's an actual retail presence right up next to the freeway. In Toronto, all we see is the rear end of buildings; blank facades, loading docks and parking lots don't attract streetlife.

somehow the urban planning for the waterfront just doesn't seem to work too well. They've gotta do something with the gardiner to make it mix better with the waterfront. Also it doesn't help much that there's not many stores or any malls there to attract people.

just swung by FLY's sales office, apparently it is pretty tucked away @ 49 Spadina Ave, facing north towards Clarence Square

I really appreciated their staff's honesty, whom tells me they've sold 54 of 396 units (which is different from previous Urbanation #s, perhaps recisions?) ... which only translates to 13.6% sales ... that makes me question a bit the viability and construction possibility given current market

Yeah, the price is HIGH. About 600 psf, without parking and locker. I think they are now throwing in parking or locker or both to stimulate poor sales.

I asked about the possible free locker / parking noted above, and staff tells me there is no such offer ... but the builder is considering / has yet to decide whether they would introduce an incentive for $5-10 K discount for a locker/parking/upgrades/cash back

just swung by FLY's sales office, apparently it is pretty tucked away @ 49 Spadina Ave, facing north towards Clarence Square

I really appreciated their staff's honesty, whom tells me they've sold 54 of 396 units (which is different from previous Urbanation #s, perhaps recisions?) ... which only translates to 13.6% sales ... that makes me question a bit the viability and construction possibility given current market

I asked about the possible free locker / parking noted above, and staff tells me there is no such offer ... but the builder is considering / has yet to decide whether they would introduce an incentive for $5-10 K discount for a locker/parking/upgrades/cash back

Wow, 13.6% is very different from the 30% Urbanation was quoting ! ! !
I'm going to put out my prediction that this one gets cancelled by 2009 Q2.

Back