Thanks to our small town chief planner, they're going to move 3000+ people into the area without expanding the sidewalks on King, but at least we have Tim Hortons!

What exactly do you want her to do? Mandate that a lane on King be removed? I want it to happen as well but it's not that simple.

Anyone perpetrating further manifestations of Godwin's Law in this thread will be excommunicated.

The street between the two buildings is Duncan St, or Ed Mirvish Way in that specific section between King and Pearl. I walk by King/Duncan everyday, and cannot wait for these buildings to be built. One thing I wish they included though is a PATH connection to Metro Hall. There seems to be provisions for it in Metro Hall, with the wall adjacent to King in the underground concourse having a blank wall covered with ads and no retail.

Also, does anyone know if such an overhang (in the pic below) is even achievable? I'm not a civil engineer, but if it is, then oh boy we're getting some pretty damn awesome architecture in this city.

BTiNDqB.jpg

5657b993-3610-411f-80e1-25a28a4fc3e2.jpg

I'm no engineer or architect either, but if this is possible I think that overhang is as well. I'm glad those older buildings were kept as well, keeps the scale human at the ground level.

Attachments

• 5657b993-3610-411f-80e1-25a28a4fc3e2.jpg
    5657b993-3610-411f-80e1-25a28a4fc3e2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,278
Forget that previous rendering, and enjoy the latest ones: check it all out in our front page story here, and give the dataBase file another look too.

The details are turning this into something really beautiful. The last sculptural towers wouldn't have translated into something as spectacular once they were engineered for the real world whereas the latest iteration is all about the details and its looking impressive so far.
I love how Gehry is working to make it fit into King St's existing brick building pallet.
I'm also excited that the Mirvish Gallery is being treated as its own project. I have a feeling we're going to get something very special since it'll be a standalone project. Technically, we're getting TWO Gehry projects. Twin towers and a separate art gallery.

I use to think that 8 spruce is the most beautiful building In N.A but if this get build as shown in the renders and if they don't use cheap stuff this project might be the most beautiful project in North America.

The street between the two buildings is Duncan St, or Ed Mirvish Way in that specific section between King and Pearl. I walk by King/Duncan everyday, and cannot wait for these buildings to be built. One thing I wish they included though is a PATH connection to Metro Hall. There seems to be provisions for it in Metro Hall, with the wall adjacent to King in the underground concourse having a blank wall covered with ads and no retail.

Also, does anyone know if such an overhang (in the pic below) is even achievable? I'm not a civil engineer, but if it is, then oh boy we're getting some pretty damn awesome architecture in this city.
[/img]

thanks! even im not an engineer but Ive seen few buildings that overhang like that.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...act=rc&uact=3&dur=530&page=4&start=63&ndsp=24

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...m7x_VMKXPITUoASXkYH4BQ&ved=0CAQQxiAwAg&iact=c

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...4L1_VN_qCMS6ogT0koLQAQ&ved=0CAMQxiAwAQ&iact=c

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=913&page=1&start=0&ndsp=10

Last edited:
I use to think that 8 spruce is the most beautiful building In N.A but if this get build as shown in the renders and if they don't use cheap stuff this project might be the most beautiful project in North America.

I agree that M+G is most likely going to end up looking better than 8 Spruce.

I cannot tell if the sentinel of the west building is still cantilevered over the Princess of Wales in the newest rendering. I hope it still willbe in the end.

Yes, it is.

And here's a close-in detail shot from just above the cantilever showing surface detail. While this is still conceptual, and you should not bank on this being the final design, I thought you might appreciate the 'brick' (metal tile?) design, especially at the creases.

MGTOBrickDetail.jpg

Attachments

• MGTOBrickDetail.jpg
    MGTOBrickDetail.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 1,260

Back