How are these two related? It's like saying that Jeddah is building a 1km high building, and Toronto fails to crack the 300m mark.

Edit: Toronto has a major Gehry structure already: AGO.

They are related in that leading corporations, universities, institutions and developers, are building structures designed by Frank Gehry – and these become landmarks touted by cities from Bilbao to Los Angeles. But we (I use we collectively) in provincial Toronto are shaking our heads saying ‘do we want a strikingly designed, privately funded building by one of the world’s leading architects?’ – and a Toronto native, no less. I’m merely pointing out a new building designed by Gehry for a company that could afford to have have hired any architect in the world.

Facebook opens a Frank Gehry-designed campus, but Toronto is still hemming and hawing about whether we want a major Gehry structure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaa...-new-frank-gehry-designed-headquarters-mpk20/

It's a warehouse that tops out at 4 storeys (the majority is merely 2). Inferring that MPK20 and Mirvish+Gehry are even remotely similar is either intentionally disingenuous or blindingly myopic.

They are related in that leading corporations, universities, institutions and developers, are building structures designed by Frank Gehry – and these become landmarks touted by cities from Bilbao to Los Angeles. But we (I use we collectively) in provincial Toronto are shaking our heads saying ‘do we want a strikingly designed, privately funded building by one of the world’s leading architects?’ – and a Toronto native, no less. I’m merely pointing out a new building designed by Gehry for a company that could afford to have have hired any architect in the world.

Again, 'building structures' isn't the same as 'commissioning one of the largest projects ever undertaken by the firm.' Your implication that planning is trying to block something akin to a garden shed reveals a pedestrian grasp of the City's qualms with the project (or your own pig-ignorance).

I guess you haven't been following the saga in NYC and that provincial town's debate over what was supposed to be a rather significant Gehry project.

Besides, this project is already approved.

AoD

And technically only the zoning box has been approved... no site plan has been submitted. At any time a new developer/architect could come forward with new design using the same height provisions.

The fall.

I was in NYC over the weekend and came across, what I presume is, his building....

DSC02853_zps6falvo7k.jpg

DSC02855_zpsqj3n5kkv.jpg

DSC02859_zpsrze6sgdh.jpg

You presume correctly Jason: that's 8 Spruce Street.

Good article on Jen Keesmaat.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer...nto-chief-planner-jennifer-keesmaat/?page=all

Relevant Mirvish/Gehry passage.

Keesmaat’s biggest showdown came in fall 2012, when theatre producer David Mirvish announced he’d hired the architect Frank Gehry to create a trio of 80-plus-storey Jenga towers on King West, with six floors of commercial space in the podium and a gallery to house Mirvish’s collection of colour field art. The spires would stretch almost double the height of any neighbouring buildings and entail the demolition of the Princess of Wales theatre and four early-20th-century warehouses Mirvish owned. He skipped the pre-app meeting and hired a PR firm, announcing his project with the kind of grandeur you might find in one of his musicals. “They said, this is what we’re doing, like it or leave it. I think he’d agree now that didn’t work out so well,” Keesmaat says with a whiff of smugness. Her deal-breaker was the loss of the heritage buildings—she said she wouldn’t discuss the height, density or usage until that issue had been resolved. Her other big problem was the shadow his buildings would cast on Queen West, the heritage commercial conservation district (which she planned herself in her private sector days).

Keesmaat was staunch throughout the negotiations, eventually releasing a report to council urging that the height be reduced and the warehouses salvaged. Council sanctioned her recommendations and rejected Mirvish’s proposal. He was incensed. Keesmaat countered that such “bird poop architecture”—colossal, clumsy behemoths that developers plunk down in the middle of a streetscape—paid little attention to the surrounding urban fabric. By spring 2014, nearly two years after filing his original proposal, Mirvish returned to the planning department with a new design: two narrower, stacked towers, still shooting above 80 storeys, but no longer occupying the entire city block, freeing up sky views and sunlight for the Queen West heritage buildings behind it. The Princess of Wales Theatre and two of the four warehouses would be saved. “Frank Gehry sent me a thank you note after it was all over,” Keesmaat told me with the preening satisfaction of a kid who gets a gold star on her homework. “He told me how much better I’d made his project.”

Back