Yes, regretful treatment of King St.

And please please, make sure that reflective stainless steel is used and not grey matte aluminum (which seems so popular with talentless Toronto architects).

Wow, the rumples are a lot more aggressive than I thought they'd be! And these renders really don't do the stainless steel cladding the justice they deserve. This is going to look brilliant (and I mean brilliant in the most literal sense). This thing will be seen sparkling in the daylight from all around the city.

The ground level is meh, but I can hardly be bothered to complain given what's standing above.

View attachment 404372

Couldn't have said it better. For a city that builds so many banal, low quality buildings, you'd think people would be rejoicing even if aesthetically it's not their preference. This is easily in the top 5% of proposals to come along. Depending on execution, this could end up being the most photographed building in the country. I suppose a segment of Toronto would offer zero criticism if it looked like Bay-Adelaide.

Wow, the rumples are a lot more aggressive than I thought they'd be! And these renders really don't do the stainless steel cladding the justice they deserve. This is going to look brilliant (and I mean brilliant in the most literal sense). This thing will be seen sparkling in the daylight from all around the city.

The ground level is meh, but I can hardly be bothered to complain given what's standing above.

View attachment 404372

Couldn't have said it better. For a city that builds so many banal, low quality buildings, you'd think people would be rejoicing even if aesthetically it's not their preference. This is easily in the top 5% of proposals to come along. Depending on execution, this could end up being the most photographed building in the country. I suppose a segment of Toronto would offer zero criticism if it looked like Bay-Adelaide.
The renders really undersell this project. They don’t come close to even approximating how the stainless steel cladding will capture and interact with the light (which is the entire architectural raison d'etre for this project). I suspect software limitations prevent them from creating more accurate depictions of the light. But I digress.

Anyways if you look at the materials used, and at Gehry’s Luma Arles (which in many ways functions as a testing ground for the materials used in Forma), you can get an idea of what they’re doing here. It will be stunning.

These buildings have every bit of potential to become an internationally recognized icon of Toronto, and I would not be surprised if it’s eventually recognized as Gehry’s crowning achievement. We’re blessed to have these one-of-a-kind towers going up in our city. These towers will become the sparkling crown jewels of our skyline.

Last edited:
I must say that the more we learn about Forma, the more I get excited about 212 King West (which is right beside Forma). 212's dark colouring and terracotta cladding will contrast so well with the sparkling Forma.

This will undoubtedly be one of the most photographed views in the city. 😍

43768-129154.jpg

212 King West's cladding will likely resemble the terracotta used at 111 W 57th (another SHoP project):
twitter_Eo4uBo_W4AAOF1p.jpg

It'll contrast so well with Forma, which is pretty much a boxier supertall variant of Luma Arles pictured below
frank-gehry-luma-arles-tower-arts-centre-aluminium_dezeen_2364_col_4-1704x1136.png

The architects really know exactly what they were doing with these material choices. It's enough to make up for Forma no longer being a three-tower project.

I would not be surprised to hear that there was some degree of coordination between Forma and 212 King West given their proximity, and that the same developer is involved in both projects.

This is such an exciting time for architecture in the city. It'll become increasingly difficult to call Toronto's architecture drab with these three stunners going up, alongside other stunners such as The One, and to a certain extent 160 Front and Union Park as well.

Last edited:

View attachment 404372
disagree with you on the bottom part. It's nice to have a tower, but it's absolutely crucial for the streetscapes of a city to have a good podium. architect/building fanatics may not care because of what's above but a dull street scene kills a city.

How high do you need to be to get the CN tower views? Or given the location I guess most of the units wont really have views?

So apparently they are starting on the shorter 262m tower first? That’s what real estate website PreCondo is saying. The taller tower will launch on another date. Is this true ?

Sounds like it's true. East tower first according to Mitchell Cohen, the chief operating officer of Westdale Properties

The eastern tower is expected to be completed in 60 months and Cohen said there was no set schedule for the building and sale of the second tower. Pricing for the condos has not been finalized.

About 342m in height. Which is none of the currently proposed buildings in the city.

I believe YSL (now Concord Sky) had one version of the proposal near that mark. But way since then it got nerf batted all the way down to its current height at 299m - potential shadowing over Allen Gardens played a big role of keeping this height as is currently to my understanding.

Last edited:
Despite being in anticipation and impatient to see the tall tower rise, I think it's better in general for the shorter tower to go up before the taller one. Then both stages are more exciting. If you build the taller one first then it's not as exciting to see the shorter tower rise alongside it. This way we get to appreciate the shorter tower (which will still be quite big for the area) and the details of its cladding and architecture then be wowed by the even taller one rising after that.

Despite being in anticipation and impatient to see the tall tower rise, I think it's better in general for the shorter tower to go up before the taller one. Then both stages are more exciting. If you build the taller one first then it's not as exciting to see the shorter tower rise alongside it. This way we get to appreciate the shorter tower (which will still be quite big for the area) and the details of its cladding and architecture then be wowed by the even taller one rising after that.
I agree with this. It will be more fun this way. Having said that, and I say this because I'm obviously impatient, let's hope sales go really well for the 1st tower, and that encourages the developer to move the whole schedule maybe up just a bit.
😀

Back