Most likely of the current set of units released for sale, by unit count rather than dollar value.

Few buy $3M+ units until close to occupancy (6 months) so developers often don't even try to sell them until well into construction. I've not confirmed if Great Gulf has held back units on this project but it's common.
Does it seem like sales overall are going very well, though? It wasn't that long ago they officially announced that sales were beginning, I think. So whatever the actual sales are so far, is it safe to assume they're doing well so far?

Does it seem like sales overall are going very well, though? It wasn't that long ago they officially announced that sales were beginning, I think. So whatever the actual sales are so far, is it safe to assume they're doing well so far?
I think it was discussed a while back in a thread far, far away that sales of units need to reach a certain threshold to be successful. I believe 50% is well on it's way to meeting that. Then again, I am not sure how time sensitive this whole process is. Or whether it doesn't matter as once that threshold is passed, they'll turn a profit anyways.

I think it was discussed a while back in a thread far, far away that sales of units need to reach a certain threshold to be successful. I believe 50% is well on it's way to meeting that. Then again, I am not sure how time sensitive this whole process is. Or whether it doesn't matter as once that threshold is passed, they'll turn a profit anyways.
Hi, thank you. I seem to recall reading something about that and minimum sales needing to be reached for developments to proceed. I have no idea if construction will be moved up now, but 50% does sound like a really good number, and it seems like sales are going very well already. If they continue to sell this quickly, I hope it'll mean moving up the construction start schedule. That's likely wishful thinking on my part, but I'm happy to see sales doing so well so far. At least the news is good to this point. 😀

Out of curiosity why are the more expensive units not bought until the building is close to completion?

Great question. When I was doing real-estate 15 years ago, owners purchasing for themselves simply weren't willing to wait several years. Given the choice of $3M for a 2025 occupancy or $3.3M for 2022 occupancy, they'd pick the second one every time. Partly because they simply didn't need to wait, and partly because tying up a ~$750k deposit for 3 years restricted options.

Investors intending to sell after occupancy were typically interested in much cheaper units they could rent for some duration.

I afraid I have no "feel" for the upper-end condo market in 2022 at all. I'm not sure it's directly comparable to recent Yorkville projects anyway simply because the neighbourhoods are very different.

That said, Great Gulf is not required to release sales numbers. Since they (or the project marketer Baker Real Estate) released it to induce a fear of missing out, so they must feel they're acceptable enough for that purpose.

The threshold to obtaining construction financing isn't fixed. Developers with strong track records meeting construction deadline and cost targets have an easier time finding financing earlier and may get a slightly better rate. Those with large amounts of cash on hand also find it easier to get financing if they're willing to use other assets as collateral.

Also, banks are looking for sales covering a %age of construction cost (the loan they're considering), to know they can get back their money when the building is registered. Not %age of units, nor do they care much about sunk costs like the land purchase when evaluating this threshold. This 50% value is definitely not of the expected construction cost.

Last edited:
I afraid I have no "feel" for the upper-end condo market in 2022 at all. I'm not sure it's directly comparable to recent Yorkville projects anyway simply because the neighbourhoods are very different.

That said, Great Gulf is not required to release sales numbers. Since they (or the project marketer Baker Real Estate) released it to induce a fear of missing out, so they must feel they're acceptable enough for that purpose.
Ok, thanks. I'm still learning about all of this, and I appreciate your help and the great explanation. 😀

Screenshot_20220803-151243_Instagram.jpg

Article talking about supertalls and they include the 298m Forma? (Maybe because the west tower will actually be 308m based on the DB here in UT?)

Good read regardless.

Article talking about supertalls and they include the 298m Forma? (Maybe because the west tower will actually be 308m based on the DB here in UT?)

Good read regardless.

That article notes 1200 bay st "completion should fall sometime in 2023." 🤔.

This city has a weird tabletop obsession of 298 meters. As in, nothing shall go higher than First Canadian Place or blasphemy! Thankfully, there are buildings in the works, including this one, that will break that barrier.

Back