News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It appears as though Toronto's tradition of giving a forum to third-rate, dyspeptic, self-loathing pseudo-intellectuals projecting their neuroses and resentments onto the city at large is as long as it is undistinguished. I couldn't listen to that twit Symons for more than two minutes. The only redeeming feature of that first clip were the shots of old maroon and cream trolley buses on Bay Street.

Are you saying that when you walk down Bloor Street you aren't instantly reminded of "giggling genitalia?"

I posted my disgust when Torontoist wrote about it. However, William Kilbourn definitely has an interpretation of the city's past worth your time if you're interested in historiography. History is most engaging, after all, when its details are debated and reappraised. The person who shot the video had a surprisingly good sense of view corridors, and exploited it for great footage. For instance, the way the CN Tower is framed by the spire of St. James Cathedral and Royal Bank Plaza at 0:59 is superb, and the proportions are perfect. Vistas down straight streets are easy to spot and appreciate, but when landmarks peak between buildings, it's a type of vista that's both harder to spot and harder to preserve.

Last edited:
Are you saying that when you walk down Bloor Street you aren't instantly reminded of "giggling genitalia?"

I believe he said "jiggling".

Nice to be reminded in that video of 1984 Toronto, with the neon signs of the all-night Bloor Street Diner shining out from the second floor of Holts and Bemelmans just across Bay Street - two of my favourite spots, though I was at the former more often than the latter.

Nice to be reminded in that video of 1984 Toronto, with the neon signs of the all-night Bloor Street Diner shining out from the second floor of Holts and Bemelmans just across Bay Street - two of my favourite spots, though I was at the former more often than the latter.

That brought back good memories. I almost forgot about Bemelman's, we didn't go there as often - and then there was Toby's a little west of Bay, not that it was the same level of food as Bemelman's but pretty much the same as Bloor Street Diner only more moderately priced sans pink neon or wallpapered mirror walls...

Yes, that part of Bloor wasn't always the dead zone in the evenings that it is now. Also, though I never went there, there was the Pearcy House restaurant at Bloor and St. Thomas, and the Colonnade had several popular restaurants on the second floor.

Back