Really not a fan of the shorter tower, or the Turkish prison windows on the dark stone base. The stone itself is high quality, but it coupled with the parapet-style windows makes it seem like it's holding people in.

Overall the complex is great though, can't wait for it to open.

I doubt that fountain is going to be constructed / installed. The only images which feature it are the old ones (circa 2006) from Cormier's website. Anything that I've seen at or out of aA has them removed, including those which adorn UT's database entry.

Darn!... and ditto the topiary maze too then? I was so looking forward to that. It would have reminded me of my days at Hampton Court.

I doubt that fountain is going to be constructed / installed. The only images which feature it are the old ones (circa 2006) from Cormier's website. Anything that I've seen at or out of aA has them removed, including those which adorn UT's database entry.

Of course it has. At this point, it's surprising when a project follows through on its more lavish promises. Something like that fountain would only take away from the bottom line, so why spend the money when a plain driveway with some planters is good enough? This is Toronto the Cheap. Toronto the Practical. Toronto the Meek. I'm curious to here what their excuse will be.

... Which is why a built fountain is staring you right in the face on that website:

659_02_img_14.jpg

That photo is dated from early 2011 btw.

Last edited:
The fountain, garden and Victorian rug-inspired driveway are all still happening. I've also heard the project is 95% sold.

Wow, that's amazing news! I've been skeptical that they'd actually follow through on the fountain since the very beginning. I wonder if it's part of the project's public art component.

I suspect that it is. Remember, this is their global flagship hotel so they're keen on making sure it stands out as the absolute best of the best in this city. We'll know for sure in a couple of months, but I'm confident they'll achieve their objective.

Holy crap that fountain is huge! It looks like its style would go more with a more classical hotel like the Royal York or King Eddie than the modern Four Seasons, but it will still look fantastic. Too bad it isn't in a more public spot like a park.

Of course it has. At this point, it's surprising when a project follows through on its more lavish promises. Something like that fountain would only take away from the bottom line, so why spend the money when a plain driveway with some planters is good enough? This is Toronto the Cheap. Toronto the Practical. Toronto the Meek. I'm curious to here what their excuse will be.

Come on Ramako, you normally add a lot of value to these discussions. You've got to pull out of this recent funk.

Didn't know where to post this but I just picked up the architectural digest magazine and there's an article about Toronto in there in the travel section. Toronto's getting a lot more attention As a cool city than it ever has. They call it cool and hip.

Holy crap that fountain is huge! It looks like its style would go more with a more classical hotel like the Royal York or King Eddie than the modern Four Seasons, but it will still look fantastic. Too bad it isn't in a more public spot like a park.

I thought the open space on the 4S site was to be accessible to the public. Anybody know for sure?

I thought the open space on the 4S site was to be accessible to the public. Anybody know for sure?

Well it's private property, but the city has mandated public artwork.

So it's complicated I guess. - I checked out the site last night, and there will be benches and the like along the driveway for you to take a break on strolls through the new Yorkville East of Bay Area when it's done.

Back