I'm glad I waited to have my seventh martini before I watched that video! I almost got seasick with all the panning and zooming.

Cal, please take this with all the admiration and appreciation of your updates, but here is a little unsolicited advice for a budding videographer... You move the camera the way a human moves their eyes, but that's not how we watch a film.

Establish the shot: Start filming a subject and hold for a 3 count for the audience to get it's bearings.

Begin a slow pan or a zoom:

If you are panning the camera, hold it steady and pan smoothly and evenly at the same speed. When you have reached your desired next subject, hold for a count of 2 or 3 before moving the camera or zooming in.

For zooming: Establish the shot for a count of 2 or 3 then begin the zoom. When you reach the desired magnification, hold for a count of 2. If you then wish to move the camera while zoomed in, do it very slowly and steadily because all movements will now be magnified.

I know these are just quick updates but plan your mini-film ahead of time. Decide what parts of the building you wish to showcase and lay out the step by step in your mind. You will be impressed with the finished product in the end.

:)

by me

sany0887.jpg

Another 170 meters to go!!

I'm glad I waited to have my seventh martini before I watched that video! I almost got seasick with all the panning and zooming.

Cal, please take this with all the admiration and appreciation of your updates, but here is a little unsolicited advice for a budding videographer... You move the camera the way a human moves their eyes, but that's not how we watch a film.

Establish the shot: Start filming a subject and hold for a 3 count for the audience to get it's bearings.

Begin a slow pan or a zoom:

If you are panning the camera, hold it steady and pan smoothly and evenly at the same speed. When you have reached your desired next subject, hold for a count of 2 or 3 before moving the camera or zooming in.

For zooming: Establish the shot for a count of 2 or 3 then begin the zoom. When you reach the desired magnification, hold for a count of 2. If you then wish to move the camera while zoomed in, do it very slowly and steadily because all movements will now be magnified.

I know these are just quick updates but plan your mini-film ahead of time. Decide what parts of the building you wish to showcase and lay out the step by step in your mind. You will be impressed with the finished product in the end.

Wow.

Traynor is hard to please...

Cant do anything about that, just gonna go about posting the best I can. With focus on the bigger projects that I love so much.

Here's footage taken by Menkes of the pouring of the base. Just massive.

From MenkesVideos:
November 29, 2008. A good day for everybody. Witness a rough slab foundation pour - a 4100 meter concrete pour. This is the largest concrete pour in North America, using an ultra-fluid concrete. In a matter of twelve hours, with nearly 500 truckloads of concrete poured, everything went smoothly for this major pour.

[video=youtube;c_19l1fO9sU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_19l1fO9sU[/video]

Photos documenting the pour can be found here.

What's the harm in giving him suggestions to improve the footage he's uploading.

Come now - there's nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism, but it's not as if this guy is being solicited to go out and grab footage for the hundreds of people getting off on it. I'm of the opinion that we should take what we get and be grateful, or get up from our computers to go and get it ourselves.

I think Traynor gives some excellent pointers. I'm sure caltrane isn't so sensitive as to not use them in his future shootings.

Last edited:
All of the advice that Traynor gave was useful information. It's stuff I do myself when I shoot video, and the resulting product is much improved over not doing so. (Unfortunately, since I no longer live in Toronto, I cannot demonstrate the results with Toronto construction videos.)

The one thing I might have done differently would be to send the information in an IM rather than a public post, but I doubt that would be truly necessary.

All of the advice that Traynor gave was useful information. It's stuff I do myself when I shoot video, and the resulting product is much improved over not doing so. (Unfortunately, since I no longer live in Toronto, I cannot demonstrate the results with Toronto construction videos.)

The one thing I might have done differently would be to send the information in an IM rather than a public post, but I doubt that would be truly necessary.

Point taken... I always forget about that function... My Bad... But I did say I was on my sixth martini! LOL

I did say his updates were much appreciated and begged forgiveness for the unsolicited advice.

Point taken... I always forget about that function... My Bad... But I did say I was on my sixth martini! LOL

I did say his updates were much appreciated and begged forgiveness for the unsolicited advice.

Info is good advice as it helps others who either shoot video's or are planning onto.

The same can be said how to set your camera up to take that great shot.

I have learn a thing or 2 from other poster comments for taking shots at night.

I have to check to see how I shoot video's the next time around and compared it this advise.

No harm in some positive criticism - however, that video is hard on the eyes and the brain. Just take a few more seconds on each shot and rather than a 30 second video cycling through the images 3- 4x, maybe just slow it down and pan across everything and zoom in a few details. The video is appreciated however.

That said, I am worried that the mirrored glass is going to look dated in a decade - I was looking for a few 45 degree bevels on the corners on this building.

p5

Back