News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Photos from today's Toronto Freedom Festival (http://www.torontofreedomfestival.com/) at Queens Park. The main event was Toronto's part in the Global Marijuana March.
It was terrific to see so many people show up (30,000-40,000 people?), especially compared to last year's event of perhaps 2,000-3,000 people.
In an age when many are content to protest or effect change by sitting in front of their PC's Twittering or creating Facebook pages it was wonderful to see so many show up, take a stand and have some fun.
Kudos to the organizers and participants.
I got stuck - literally, in about the middle of the park as a monsoon descended around 4pm. It took me about 20 minutes to try and get out, it was so crowded. I was unable to take photos at that time with so many people shoulder to shoulder, and my dog dragging me around but it was much busier than some of the photos appear.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I got stuck - literally, in about the middle of the park as a monsoon descended around 4pm. It took me about 20 minutes to try and get out, it was so crowded. I was unable to take photos at that time with so many people shoulder to shoulder, and my dog dragging me around but it was much busier than some of the photos appear.

Downpour at 4, 20 minute delay...hmmmm. :)

Just got back from it. It was well attended and everyone was in high spirits (no pun intended). We left around 2:30 to see a movie so I guess I escaped the downpour. It was nice to see the police taking a very hands off approach and letting things be within the park.

Don't have much to add in the way of pics because I forgot about the camera and took in the good mood after just a few minutes. Here are a few:

Attachments

• 100_1813.jpg
    100_1813.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_1816.jpg
    100_1816.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 100_1817.jpg
    100_1817.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I didn't see any police presence as I entered, or exited the park. I did see plenty of places to buy munchies though...

That's what I meant--they cordoned off the street and didn't enter the park itself but stayed near their cars blocking the other streets. Actually, there were more cops watching the dwindling but still noisy Tamil protest down the street.

I was surprised to see so many food stands including a couple name brand ones--Tiny Tom, I haven't seen you since the Ex!

Last edited:
I checked things out on my bike and it was pretty cool and very laid back. I left when it rained.

It was good to see business actually cash in on people with the munchies this year. People are getting smart about this (except Harper, haha). Pizza Pizza must have made a killing.

Last edited:
I'm almost glad I had to leave at about three to go watch the footy match cause I get mad grumpy when wet.

Also, nothing is more important than TFC but I hadn't been since two years ago and it is an issue that I care deeply about so I'm glad I made it down.

Back