Hope that the city gets the developer to straighten Dupont Street between Emerson Avenue and Dufferin Street, a little bit.

View attachment 52900

Maybe even put in parking laybys on the north side of Dupont Street, even on both sides.
well the city never got metrolinx to straighten out keele from Yore to eglinton

Considering they paid 71 mil, for sure will be mixed use with some decent density.
they paid more than daniels paid for the former humber hospital site on keele (between 16-19M) forget which which was a give a way

I really hope they keep the jog. I love these little oddities in the grid. They can help create some really dynamic spaces. The jog in Carlton near Yonge (along with the massive streetwall) makes a unique space in Toronto. The old creeks help do this too.

If the grid was broken here I'd absolutely want to fix it. But as it stands, keep Dupont weird. Keep the jog.
slows down traffic too

I'd be shocked if we got anything even remotely close to those renders.
They aren't promising those buildings from the renderings yet. Those have to be considered placeholders for the time being. The front page story is clear that this is nowhere near a final design yet.

but it makes it more efficient i.e yonge, Bloor

Sometimes, travelling along a diagonal line can be more efficient than using intersecting lines on a grid, for instance, the distance of 50' 1.5" vs. 68' on two intersecting lines to get from the bottom left hand corner to the top right corner of this diagram.

The point is that in some areas, the high density nodes and destinations are not built up on one street but rather scattered along several points. A diagonal route between desirable places to put stations would sometimes result in a faster route with better ridership.

Sometimes, travelling along a diagonal line can be more efficient than using intersecting lines on a grid, for instance, the distance of 50' 1.5" vs. 68' on two intersecting lines to get from the bottom left hand corner to the top right corner of this diagram.

The point is that in some areas, the high density nodes and destinations are not built up on one street but rather scattered along several points. A diagonal route between desirable places to put stations would sometimes result in a faster route with better ridership.
Pythagoras discovered that fact.

Yes, trigonometry works wonders.

Did anybody get the chance to attend the community meeting on Saturday?

I was only able to drop in very briefly, and didn't get much of a sense of it (though people didn't seem too upset).

renderings-with-post-its.jpg.size.custom.crop.850x637.jpg

From the article.

What a wasted opportunity to re-align Dupont Street if true. Maybe they just haven't gotten approval from the city for a re-alignment?

Actually, it should be the city pushing for the realignment, not the developer, no?

If they realigned Dupont so that it ran in a more direct fashion between Dufferin and Emerson, would that not cause problems with the lands currently on the north side of Dupont, opposite the mall? The City can't simply deprive them of vehicular access to the street, without paying through the nose in injurious affection claims. It also can't force those landowners to buy the land that has opened up between their parcels and the realigned Dupont, and I don't think anyone imagines the landowners would be provided with free land.

I'm not particularly familiar with this redevelopment, and maybe these issues could be addressed, but it seems that a realigned Dupont would give rise to problems and expenses for very little return.

The only way that a re-alignment could be supported would be if Freed/Elad owned the properties on the north side of Dupont and could therefore think cohesively about the two blocks. As they don't own the north side (to my knowledge) they are only thinking about how to redevelop the plot of land they own. To Skeezixi's point if the city were to push for realignment than it would cut off a strip of businesses that currently rely on Dupont for access.

Back