Again, I'm not sure how a driveway right next to a road makes any sense. Seems like terrible planning to cover most of the northern perimeter of this site with asphalt.

Again, I'm not sure how a driveway right next to a road makes any sense. Seems like terrible planning to cover most of the northern perimeter of this site with asphalt.
"Van Horne Avenue" could be paved with concrete instead of asphalt and be one lane wide like most laneways in the city (and be renamed Van Horne Lane to avoid confusion with the avenue of the same name near the "Peanut" north of Fairview Mall; the Royce name could be used instead).

The City can't deprive these parcels of land of vehicular to a street, and replace it with a one-way laneway without paying a small fortune in injurious affection claims. Also not sure how replacing asphalt with concrete helps. It would also be bizarre that a city, which can't afford road safety measures or even to maintain the Toronto sign at city hall and is facing an ever worsening financial crunch, would spend all that money to create such an undesirable condition (a block of land dominated by a concrete road, strip of grass, and a parallel asphalt road), all to achieve a road realignment the need for which nobody seems to be able to articulate with any clarity or evidence.

The only practical way that Dupont can be straightened, without the City effectively flushing buckets of money down the toilet, is for the developer to assemble all of those parcels on the northern perimeter. Even assuming that's possible, the business case for that is dubious (for reasons set out above).

HPA has put up a bunch of high-res renders of their work on this project, some of which I don't remember seeing before (though all I can find right now is the story in the Star):
galleria_1.jpg
galleria_2.jpg
galleria_3.jpg

See the rest here: http://www.hariripontarini.com/project/galleria-mall/

That page also claims that they are shooting for 3.3 million square feet of space total -- that's 10% more than The Well, though I imagine that it will be reduced as this works its way through the planning process.

Is HPA just doing the master plan for this, or will they be designing some (or all) of the buildings? I sure wouldn't mind if they did the whole thing.

Attachments

• galleria_1.jpg
    galleria_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,519
  • galleria_2.jpg
    galleria_2.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 1,500
  • galleria_3.jpg
    galleria_3.jpg
    968.8 KB · Views: 1,515
I'd agree that the mall itself needs a significant renovation. The one thing it doesnt need, is to be razed for a massive redevelopment project. There's only so much that Sufferin St can handle.

Let's remember that the Bloor Collegiate at the corner of Bloor and Dufferin will be sold off for redevelopment in the next couple of years.

I'd agree that the mall itself needs a significant renovation. The one thing it doesnt need, is to be razed for a massive redevelopment project.

The problem is that this mall was built in a suburban, car-dependent fashion. It would be great to have something that fronts the street properly and is more pedestrian oriented.

HPA has put up a bunch of high-res renders of their work on this project, some of which I don't remember seeing before (though all I can find right now is the story in the Star):

See the rest here: http://www.hariripontarini.com/project/galleria-mall/

That page also claims that they are shooting for 3.3 million square feet of space total -- that's 10% more than The Well, though I imagine that it will be reduced as this works its way through the planning process.

Is HPA just doing the master plan for this, or will they be designing some (or all) of the buildings? I sure wouldn't mind if they did the whole thing.

As far as I know, they're only doing the master plan. I believe Freed wants to get different architects to design each individual building.

I'd agree that the mall itself needs a significant renovation. The one thing it doesnt need, is to be razed for a massive redevelopment project. There's only so much that Sufferin St can handle.

Let's remember that the Bloor Collegiate at the corner of Bloor and Dufferin will be sold off for redevelopment in the next couple of years.

The last thing we should have is a large site so close to the core like this one redeveloped to fit the "neighbourhood character".

AoD

I don't see Dufferin Mall going anywhere soon. They renovated a few years back and it's still quite busy and has Walmart and NoFrills as anchor tenants. I could see the parking garage being redeveloped though, it's attractive real estate right across from the park.

I guess if if you want parkland, new roads/community centre, etc. etc. etc. you have to up the density, it's not like they can build short and market million dollar condo units in this area....
...maybe not 42s, but likely 30-35s bldgs. will fly here

The plans for the Galleria site clump the location together with the existing Wallace Emerson Community Centre to the south. The land would be dissected by a new diagonal road, with the area to the south turned into parkland. To the north, two new streets and a pedestrian walkway would be lined with two floors of ground-level retail. The condos, 3,400 units, would then be stacked on top. In all, the site would include 12 towers, most 12 to 22 storeys, but with three along Dupont at 36 storeys, 42 storeys and 34 storeys.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...f-city-councillors-residents/article32155806/

1245 DUPONT ST
Ward 18 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

The proposal introduces a new street and block configuration that contains a range of housing tenures including rental, affordable and ownership. Proposed for the site are 3416 residential units and 150 affordable housing units, 222895 m2 of residential gross floor area, 29912 m2 of retail gross floor area, 6391 m2 of office gross floor area and 4738 m2 of community space. 3280 total vehicular and 3602 bicycle parking spaces will be provided.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 16 231334 STE 18 OZ Sep 30, 2016 Application Received

Back