Glass has gone up on street level of Gallery developments. Looking good, cant wait to see what moves in (please dont bring more BBT, cosmetics, medical).

I'd like some retail, maybe a grocer (to replace No Frills leaving Warden?). I know they still have that Art Gallery planned near the south side of Viva bus route?

Today. There is curved glass on the south and north corners of the podiums fronting Birchmount.
IMG_1105.jpeg
IMG_1107.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1111.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpeg
IMG_1113.jpeg

Glass has gone up on street level of Gallery developments. Looking good, cant wait to see what moves in (please dont bring more BBT, cosmetics, medical).

I'd like some retail, maybe a grocer (to replace No Frills leaving Warden?). I know they still have that Art Gallery planned near the south side of Viva bus route?
Via the Gallery Square brochure, which can be found here, https://downtownmarkham.ca/gallery-square/ , you can find more renders, statistics, and there's a few that stood out to me. First off, the retail floor plan:

Screenshot (3452).png

There is then these two renderings of the Market Hall, which was presumably scrapped for the art gallery, but we will get back to that later.
Screenshot (3454).png

Screenshot (3453).png

Here is a rendering of Retail 03, which depicts itself as a grocery store. Not exactly sure how large grocery stores need to be to be functional, but it does seem like a relatively large space for one.
Screenshot (3455).png

That is all I have to share for now, regarding the brochure and renderings. Now, I passed by the site today and took a few pictures.
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1420.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1428.jpg

In the below two images, you can see a sign saying "Retail Unit, Market Hall". What confuses me is that this door is located in the area where the Art Gallery is proposed. Are they both sharing the space, is signage going to be put up for the market hall even if it is not a market hall anymore, is the art gallery axed, or just something else entirely?

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

That is all my coverage for the retail and Gallery square for today. I will be making a separate post on the Downtown Markham thread https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/downtown-markham.9725/ on the state of the retail in Downtown Markham, and why I don't have much hope on decent retail here other than more medical offices or cosmetic stores.

Via the Gallery Square brochure, which can be found here, https://downtownmarkham.ca/gallery-square/ , you can find more renders, statistics, and there's a few that stood out to me. First off, the retail floor plan:

Amazing seeing this come to life, this cant come any sooner!

I would rather have the Market Food Hall vs an Art Gallery, I recently visited Square One and Sheridan Mall and havent been there for over 20 years.

It's amazing how much CF (corrected, Oxford) has invested in those malls to make them look modern (wish CF dumped the same amount of money into Markville), they had a Food District at Square One which I would have hoped Gallery would have taken notes from.

Last edited:
It's amazing how much CF has invested in those malls to make them look modern (wish they dumped the same amounnt of money into Markville), they had a Food District at Square One which I would have hoped Gallery would have taken notes from.
Square One is owned and operated by Oxford Properties, not CF.

Sorry if I am not following along correctly, but am I correct is stating that the 24,280 SF Art Gallery is no longer going to be at this development? And instead there is going to be a grocery store?

1709655707357.png

Back