The Dufferin proposal looks a lot like the Humber bridge which everyone seems to like, so I'm not sure why people are upset about having something similar here. I agree that the ED proposal was more interesting, but this is still something that I can look forward to.
I don't think that the Dufferin design is bad, I just don't think it's the best design… and I always want the best design to win, that's all!

I quite like it to be honest. While the others may have more of a visual impact and continuity in terms of the humber bridge I do applaud the chosen design. I think it's an appropriate nod to the industrial past for the railway lands and the rust finish is terrific.

I quite like it to be honest. While the others may have more of a visual impact and continuity in terms of the humber bridge I do applaud the chosen design. I think it's an appropriate nod to the industrial past for the railway lands and the rust finish is terrific.

I think you're talking about the ED/Public Work proposal, which was not selected.

Maybe they are mistaking the Ellis don proposal?

Any bridge is better than no bridge, but ya, this was in my opinion the least exciting option.

Our reporter Stefan Novakovic is at the event now, and he is confirming that the Dufferin proposal was chosen because it is the cheapest to build and to maintain. We'll have a full story later.

(And Bogtrotter, you're right on about why the Ellis Don proposal was the best one.)

The Dufferin proposal looks a lot like the Humber bridge which everyone seems to like, so I'm not sure why people are upset about having something similar here. I agree that the ED proposal was more interesting, but this is still something that I can look forward to.

I don't know why some are comparing the chosen design to Humber Bridge. If anything, it's much closer to the Calatrava designed Mimico Creek bridge.

I had to turn it off when Shiner came on.

The original bridge was truly iconic, something that would no doubt be featured in architecture magazines and fashion photoshoots in Toronto. The Dufferin proposal is essentially a cheap knock off of the DNA design. We're getting a MADE IN CHINA (no offence to China) rip off. Hopefully this is the last we'll see of Rob Ford's destruction.

On the bright side, I was happy to see Tory's pro public realm comments and his kind words to Councillor Mike Layton and MP Adam Vaughan. I get the impression that he's pulling back on his right leaning stance that saw him stack his team with Rob Ford loyalists at the beginning of his term.

Hopefully the stainless steel construction of this bridge will help us all forget what could've been.

There is absolutely nothing preventing us from getting something iconic somewhere else. Lets keep in mind that the intention of this bridge, first and foremost is to connect neighbourhoods across the railway. Design comes second in this case. There are many more areas that can benefit from connections over/under the rail corridor as other obstacles throughout the city. Plenty more opportunities for icons out there.

*cough* new connection over Lake Shore from the Ex to Ontario Place*

https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/669179712929996801: "Fort York Bridge's simple design is not supposed to dominate the skyline but be an added feature."

Basically: "we deliberately chose the boring design". I wonder whether the result would have been different if Waterfront Toronto had managed this.
Ehhh, Waterfront Toronto doesn't do everything right either: they chose a too-safe Jack Layton Ferry Terminal design.

There is absolutely nothing preventing us from getting something iconic somewhere else. Lets keep in mind that the intention of this bridge, first and foremost is to connect neighbourhoods across the railway. Design comes second in this case. There are many more areas that can benefit from connections over/under the rail corridor as other obstacles throughout the city. Plenty more opportunities for icons out there.

Design should never come second. Design and function should always work with each other, not compete.

The problem with "something iconic somewhere else" is that the same logic could be applied to the next site, and the next, and the next. And in the end, nothing of substance is ever built.

I feel we always make excuses for watered down designs instead of calling them out for what they are.

Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.06.19 AM.png

CUlqBE6UkAAfx5-.jpg_large.jpg

Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.13.31 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.06.19 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.06.19 AM.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 545
  • CUlqBE6UkAAfx5-.jpg_large.jpg
    CUlqBE6UkAAfx5-.jpg_large.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.13.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-24 at 11.13.31 AM.png