I'm on record championing the ED/Public Work entry too, but I don't think that UnderGardiner nor Mouth of the Creek will give them a leg up. The decision would have been made before they would have heard of UnderGardiner, and on its own, Mouth of the Creek Park wouldn't be enough to sway the judges (even though officially it wouldn't be placed on the scales anyway).

Nope, the reason for ED/Public Work to win is that it's the best entry.

I'm on record championing the ED/Public Work entry too, but I don't think that UnderGardiner nor Mouth of the Creek will give them a leg up. The decision would have been made before they would have heard of UnderGardiner, and on its own, Mouth of the Creek Park wouldn't be enough to sway the judges (even though officially it wouldn't be placed on the scales anyway).

Nope, the reason for ED/Public Work to win is that it's the best entry.

Fully agreed. From the 3 finalists, in my eyes, this was the better one.

How was this decided? This seemed least favored on this forum, and I wonder what kind of persuasion would lead to this choice. For this chosen proposal (Dufferin), could they later tack on a ramp that would allow bikes to travel east after the south crossing? I guess they want to provide water access, but a lot of people would want to go east after crossing the south span.

Wasn't David Shiner the asshole who got the original inspired project delayed by 5 years?

It says exactly that in the Globe article.

Since someone has blabbed, we have to decide whether or not to actually show up at the event now.

My least favourite also, but It's not THAT bad. I mean, I like it more than Puente De Luz in CityPlace.

On the brighter side, the use of stainless steel is, if not value-engineered out, interesting. A little surprised ED/Public Works didn't win this even though it wasn't my personal fav.

AoD

On the brighter side, the use of stainless steel is, if not value-engineered out, interesting. A little surprised ED/Public Works didn't win this even though it wasn't my personal fav.

AoD

To be honest, I felt like we had a choice between best of the worst all along. None of the options were that impressive when they were revealed. At the end of the day, I'm just glad to see another connection over the railway.

I wouldn't call them the worst even in this post-value engineering around - the choice examples across Gardiner is illustrative of what could have been.

AoD

The Dufferin proposal looks a lot like the Humber bridge which everyone seems to like, so I'm not sure why people are upset about having something similar here. I agree that the ED proposal was more interesting, but this is still something that I can look forward to.

On the brighter side, the use of stainless steel is, if not value-engineered out, interesting.
Pretty much the only selling point for this design was that the stainless steel would be cheap to maintain. So I expect that it's an integral part of the design and will be retained.

Pretty much the only selling point for this design was that the stainless steel would be cheap to maintain. So I expect that it's an integral part of the design and will be retained.

Not a cheap material to build with though, so it would be interesting to see how the economics will work for them (vis-a-vis the usual decadal painting and whatnot).

AoD

Back