That's not bike friendly at all. Crossing Strachan on bike at any intersection is not easy. If the intention of the bridge was to provide a safer passage for pedestrians and bikes to access the waterfront shouldn't they have included a bike path along Fort York Blvd?
Both Strachan and Fort York have bike lanes??? They could have made a path through the two parking lots below the bentway but then you have to go to either Strachan or Fort York to cross Lake Shore anyways. I do not see a point.

There will be more connections made over the years, including one to CityPlace's North Linear Park and another eventually to the West Toronto Rail Path, and they're looking at better waterfront connections… but send notes to your City Councillor to let them know you want it all connected up soon!! Keep a fire lit under them—it's all been dragging on waaaaay too long.

It would be great if the city closed the little used portion of Wellington St. from Walnut St. to Stafford St.That would not impct emergency services and would add a nice chuck to Stanley park to the north.

They added a crosswalk and like you said, it's a little used portion of that street so there are rarely any cars on it. It works the way it is. If you think about it, Stanely Park is separated from Stanley Park North by King St which itself is not too far from Trinity Bellwoods. It's a nice string of parks all closely connected from Dundas all the way to the Waterfront.

There's also the happy coincidence that this is the route of the old Garrison Creek. It would be so great if they built a footpath following the old creek from the dog bowl at Trinity Bellwood's Park, through Stanley Park, through Fort York, and along the Bentway to the Music Garden.

Here's the tender for the original bridge that Rob Ford cancelled.

"The Public Works and Infrastructure Committee grant authority to award Contract 10FS-34S, Tender Call 353-2010 to BOT Engineering & Construction Ltd., in the amount of $22,419,395.00 net of all applicable taxes and charges, for the construction of the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge over GO Transit Tracks from Wellington Street West to Fort York and associated approach trails, having submitted the lowest bid meeting specifications in conformance with the Tender requirements."

Tender Call: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2011.PW3.13

$22M for the original, $20 for the completed Garrison Crossing. For a $2M difference, we would have had the much more architecturally interesting bridge and we would've had it 7 years ago.

Let's be clear, this wasn't about money. Ford just wanted to stick it to the downtown pinkos and Mike Layton's Fort York bridge was an easy target. Well, who's laughing now?

dsc02676-jpg.206643

Pic: @Red Mars

$22M for the original, $20 for the completed Garrison Crossing. For a $2M difference, we would have had the much more architecturally interesting bridge and we would've had it 7 years ago.

IIRC there was also 1812 bicentennial money coming from the feds for the original bridge. I'm assuming we lost out and had to come up with the cash ourselves.

I biked across the bridge on my way home from work today and I was pleased to see how wide the deck is. It's a nice contrast with the Puente de Luz, which has narrow ramps and tight corners that make it rather unpleasant for cycling. Now it just needs a proper connection south to the Martin Goodman Trail and I'll be happy.

IIRC there was also 1812 bicentennial money coming from the feds for the original bridge. I'm assuming we lost out and had to come up with the cash ourselves.

The sheer stupidity of conservatives and their pointless penny-pinching ways. If voters are dumb enough to keep falling for it, we deserve it.

Nice update from Cressy’s newsletter:

In addition, we are looking forward to starting a comprehensive master planning process for the Stanley Park South Extension, the new park in the Ordnance Triangle (between the rail corridors), and improvements to Garrison Common around the south bridge landing. Funding has already been secured to design and build community-led park improvements.

Is the plan to let the sections of land that slope down towards the rail lines naturalize? Should help buffer or at least soften some of the noise from the tracks.

Back