Satisfied with winning proposal but Landmark proposal was so much better and the original design that got cut thanks to Ford nation really could of been iconic

I'm sorry but this is depressing. Factoring in the sunk costs, the shit bridge below costs the same as the iconic design above. Delivered 5 years late, all the design value sucked out of it, same price. Sometimes I hate this city.

ACI2Xvb.jpg

And the same assholes who did this are more than happy to waste hundreds of millions of dollars to rebuild an elevated expressway.

Instead of having a beige walkway, they could try incorporating a bright design, or something along those lines, to the ground...?

Now, to be fair, the current design has the advantage of allowing access to the Ordnance Triangle/future Garrison Point park between the rail corridors, whereas the original would have bypassed it. We are going to end up with a more functional design, if not a more beautiful one.

I think the mid-stream redesign/value engineering of the original proposal allowed for that possibility. Watching the politicos pat themselves in the back after the delays basically produced an inferior design (straight spans, etc) at the same cost (with less of it going to actual hard product, given sunk costs) is rather nauseating. Job well done, and kudos in particular to Shiner.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is depressing. Factoring in the sunk costs, the shit bridge below costs the same as the iconic design above. Delivered 5 years late, all the design value sucked out of it, same price. Sometimes I hate this city.

ACI2Xvb.jpg

What a piece of crap this is.

Actually find both of the mentioned bridge designs rather anonymous. The one(s) chosen is the lesser of the two however, I give it props for incorporating the berm between the tracks.

Actually find both of the mentioned bridge designs rather anonymous. The one(s) chosen is the lesser of the two however, I give it props for incorporating the berm between the tracks.

I think the original design is of one bridge that bypasses the middle grassy area, whereas the new one is two bridges with access to the middle grassy area. It would seem the parameters for the design may have changed btw the two designs(?) Perhaps access to that middle grassy area was a later additional criterion(?) I like that the second design actually gives pedestrians more choices in that they can take small detours in the park.

I think the original design is of one bridge that bypasses the middle grassy area, whereas the new one is two bridges with access to the middle grassy area. It would seem the parameters for the design may have changed btw the two designs(?) Perhaps access to that middle grassy area was a later additional criterion(?) I like that the second design actually gives pedestrians more choices in that they can take small detours in the park.

There were at least 3 designs - the original one which does not provide access to the Triangle lands, a modification that does (which also basically turned it into a two span bridge) as part of a value engineering exercise and the current final proposal.

AoD

Here's a little good news:

Fort York Bridge Community Members,

The Project Team is pleased to report that construction has started on the Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge. As you know, this City-initiated infrastructure project will create a vital connection for the City’s west-end neighbourhoods into the Fort York grounds and the waterfront. The bridge will be touching down on the future South Stanley Park Extension and park within the Ordnance Triangle, as well as within Garrison Common at Fort York.

Attached is the Construction Notice that provides more information about the work to be undertaken.

As a result of this work, there may be noise, dust and temporary inconveniences in and around the work sites. A construction management office has been set up on site. If you have any questions, you can reach out to Lucas Theofilou, Construction Coordinator, Dufferin Construction at 647-533-5059.

We appreciate your patience and your continued support as we undertake this important City-Building project.

Please connect with us if you have any project questions, or check back on the website at fortyorkbridge.mmm.ca for all updates.

Regards,

Fort York Pedestrian and Cycle Bridge Project Team

FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-1.jpg

FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-2.jpg

Attachments

• FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-1.jpg
    FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-1.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 1,695
  • FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-2.jpg
    FYB-ConstructionNotice-Aug2016-2.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 1,548
Last edited: