The garages are ok, and once Charlie gets built I would suspect they would become less noticeable. I wish that the entire east facade was glass though, without the bricks for that last garage on the Charlotte frontage.

It all seems quite nice except for the 'Dead and Deader' Charlotte St. frontage. No retail? I mean, I know it would have been a convenience store or a dry cleaners, but at least it can evolve into a real store later down the line. From what I remember, bricks don't evolve.

The bricks at the end are not a garage, but a "lofthouse", a ground-floor 2-storey residential unit with a door on Oxley St.

I agree it's not the best treatment of Charlotte St, but on the other hand, retail isn't the answer everywhere, and Charlotte is already a relatively quiet (in terms of foot traffic, as well as noise) local street.

This boom has overbuilt on retail. Adding another empty storefront ain't going to liven up the street.

I don't think retail was at all necessary here. The little brick stump at the one end disrupts the clean modernist lines, but generally, it's a nice little piece of glas(s).

How do they magically destroy every angle where you can't see them? Which make up almost every angle you view this building at, considering how tucked away they are.

ah, I see you haven't been accustomed to the world of magic yet. I hex you!! X2
All you'll see are garages wherever you go from this point on. :)

Meh, as others said once development on the adjacent lot completes it will not matter.

It's like when people bitch about blank walls .....

I swear, if I go to sleep dreaming incessantly about garages I'll be after you. No one dares hex me.

It all seems quite nice except for the 'Dead and Deader' Charlotte St. frontage. No retail? I mean, I know it would have been a convenience store or a dry cleaners, but at least it can evolve into a real store later down the line. From what I remember, bricks don't evolve.

developers can't make nearly enough on retail to justify it in a small building like this, which given that it is on two minor streets, is hardly a desirable place for any retailer. they would rather make $400k on a townhouse sale. at one point, it was considered to possibly be office space, but built so that it could be turned into townhouses down the road

The bricks at the end are not a garage, but a "lofthouse", a ground-floor 2-storey residential unit with a door on Oxley St.
well, technically it is a garage behind the brick ;) it's also the exhaust air vent from the garage below (hence the spaced bricks)

4 March 2009 photo update

Looks good, sorry too tired/lazy to walk any closer:

dsc00065l.jpg

That sign on the corner advertises three fully decorated model suites.

Too bad you didn't walk around the corner because the silver cladding along the north side is stunning! I'll try and get a pic soon.

You can see some of it in the middle of dreamers picture.

(Thanks for all the pics dreamer!)

Back