Great photos.

Those lights lining the Oxley side reflect off the metal panels when it's dark.

The project is just outstanding. I wonder if it will be able to maintain its 'pristine' condition in the decades to come or if it too will fall prey to Pizza-Pizza-fication. Hopefully, a future Adma will secure its preservation in its current, original condition. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
March 14, 2009

DSC03959.jpg

DSC03961.jpg

now that construction of GLAS is done ... I just realised now that it is 16 storeys, rather than 13 storeys shown in the original rendering ... I guess it has grown ~

Well, in my opinion I'd say it's a good facade but not the best. Oxley is pretty dead as streets go (not that this will be a negative to those living in the townhomes).

Checked out a few places over there. The entrance to the building's so easy to miss, lol. I really like the building, and the kitchens are beautiful...european cabinetry and built in applicances (gas stoves). There's a 1+1 bedroom there that's quite nice but a little too pricey for my blood 400K+

Believe that sometime during the application process, OMB granted additional floors. yk.

that's incorrect - what changed was the city finally allowed the mechanical penthouse to go on the roof... up until a point the mechanical was set into the 16th floor, and it was pretty much impossible to get them to agree to letting it go on the roof (despite the fact that Charlie was going to cast the building into perpetual shadow). so the building had been designed up to 15 floors (as you can see in the one oldest rendering on glascondominium.com) with mechanical taking up the 16th (which you can't see in the rendering from the angle it's at)... then the design was modified to have units go up to the 16th around the mechanical space, and then eventually they let the mech PH go on top of the roof.

to my knowledge it never went to the OMB (it always complied with zoning by-laws), unless it did so in the last year or so after construction had started, but even then it would have only been for the mechanical room.

Well, in my opinion I'd say it's a good facade but not the best. Oxley is pretty dead as streets go (not that this will be a negative to those living in the townhomes).

It's all subjective but, for me personally, I'd have to search around for a recent facade that grabs me as much as Glas' sheer vertical wall that plunges into the sidewalk.

A podium when necessary ... but not necessarily a podium. Spire, the TD Centre, Commerce Court West, the new Bay Adelaide tower, and this place all show the limits of applying a formula such as: gotta have a big, blocky podium. I think this place could be twice as tall and it'd still work nicely at street level.

However, one can't ignore the one storey pavilion of the TD Centre. That is what Mies placed at the intersection of King and Bay, not a point tower.

Back