Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a new street, and it would be nice to have another mid-block connection between Front and Wellington.

I'm disappointed as well. Besides the twist, it's too minimalist almost to the point of sterility. I was sceptical that the Globe and Mail would live up to their nationalistic TV ads with that girl riding a bike through a park and talking about Canadians achieving the very best. Their own building looks like it will be standard fare, whereas major newspapers have historically been located in architecturally prominent buildings in major cities.

Definitely a bit of a let down, but at this point it's incredible difficult to expect anything truly interesting or unique from Canadian architects or developers. It certainly blows Southcore and Waterpark Place out of the water, which isn't saying much.

Hmmmmmm. As someone who lives kitty-corner to this development it is of great interest to me....

It looks like (as planned) they are building this on top of the Toyota dealership - however immediately to the west of it (where the current G&M building is) there are just trees. Are they planning on demolishing the existing property once the new one is built and putting a parkette of sorts there?

There's a lot absent from this rendering. But as renderings often present the most alluring possible scenarios first, I think it's fair to say this building is only standard-issue design for our times and deeply unremarkable. They're really not aiming for 'timeless' here.
I wish the curves and angles were a stylized show of something important about the building, something that would bring it's purpose to the street, show it's nature, or something that would want to make us investigate it. Instead, they seem to be wan borrowings from a host of better '90's buildings, and are without conviction or determination.

I think it would do the Globe more credit to set the bar higher and create a building that would suit the headquarters and identity of a national newspaper. One with more art, personality and soul than this generic offering.

Last edited:
The building is going where the Toyota dealership currently is. The owners of the Globe are severing this parcel to build the office tower. A new north/south road will be built west of the building (for access, parking, loading, etc). The interior has a few community components such a large speaking/event space, restaurant and some green space through the site. All sounded great.

The remainder of the site which is basically the current offices west to almost Draper Street will be sold. Apparently RFP's are in process. So expect a big sale to someone soon enough. A lot of people brought up the concern that there should a master-plan or strict guidelines in place for this next phase - but obviously the City can only do so much. Whoever buys that huge chunk of land will have lots of issues to deal with - especially with Draper Street and traffic issues on Front Street. It'll be interesting to see who gets it and what they propose. Here's hoping for good things!

The remainder of the site which is basically the current offices west to almost Draper Street will be sold. Apparently RFP's are in process. So expect a big sale to someone soon enough. A lot of people brought up the concern that there should a master-plan or strict guidelines in place for this next phase - but obviously the City can only do so much. Whoever buys that huge chunk of land will have lots of issues to deal with - especially with Draper Street and traffic issues on Front Street. It'll be interesting to see who gets it and what they propose. Here's hoping for good things!

I'm predicting a massive Concord-style development. Something along the lines of CityPlace II. This area of the city is going to be pretty lame. Seems fitting.

This isn't really my cup of tea either, from the rather primitive rendering at least. Perhaps renderings to come will show some more interesting details? I have to say that I'm missing Clewes for this project!

Take away the one or two slight angles to the massing and this may as well be an office park in Mississauga.

This building is Corus Quay and RAC3's lovechild.

It seems taking a box and throwing in a few "bendy angles" is to office buildings what taking a box and adding wavy or random balconies is to condo buildings. RBC Centre is also an example of this.

Regarding the height I think it is perfect. Its north of the rail and makes a connect between the King West area and the core. Its a nice interconnecting building between two areas. Its also near that very nice little park just to the north east. That might be another reason for the height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back