Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming the new site needs to be built quickly so it can house the current GandM employees before they can start on the new retail centre. So 3+ years for the completton of the new HQ and 6+ yrs for the retail.

G&M publisher just made an annoucement to employees. Via twitter:

"New #GlobeHQ plans suddenly on hold as RioCan makes big offer to buy corner lot where digging is already underway."

Ramako:

Well, given the scale of the retail/residential/office complex to be, maybe not? That said, Riocan will have to do better than that awful Queen & Portland Loft pile...

AoD

LeftCoaster on SSP suggests that, as the Globe still needs a new office space, it may become a candidate to anchor one of the many recently proposed office towers around town.

Given Allied's involvement in this deal, I wonder if we'll see the Globe end up in one of their many projects around the Entertainment District.

I still don't have a lot of faith in RioCan to deliver something appropriately urban for this site.

Last edited:
Interesting news, did not see this coming; I wonder if KPMB did.

RioCan is just the financial backer so there's less reason to fear them than who they will hire. The failure of Queen and Portland for example, owes more to the hiring of Turner Fleisher than anything else. If aA, Teeple, KPMB, H+P, Diamond Schmitt, etc. are brought on board, I'd say we're pretty safe. That said, if Kirkor, G+C, E.I. Richmond etc. are called upon then the future is much less rosy.

The Mattamy concepts we were treated to last month are a perfectly good example of this.

Interesting news, did not see this coming; I wonder if KPMB did.

RioCan is just the financial backer so there's less reason to fear them than who they will hire. The failure of Queen and Portland for example, owes more to the hiring of Turner Fleisher than anything else. If aA, Teeple, KPMB, H+P, Diamond Schmitt, etc. are brought on board, I'd say we're pretty safe. That said, if Kirkor, G+C, E.I. Richmond etc. are called upon then the future is much less rosy.

The Mattamy concepts we were treated to last month are a perfectly good example of this.

With revenues in the newspaper industry tanking - I was shocked that The Globe and Mail was building a new office building to house a declining business... this is NO surprise. What was surprising was that they were building an office building in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back