It is bananas to me how hokey-pokey the separation between the houses and the tracks are here. Standards for safety used to be so much different than they are now!

It is bananas to me how hokey-pokey the separation between the houses and the tracks are here. Standards for safety used to be so much different than they are now!
Back in the day the 'ol "Mom... there's a train in our living room" was simply par for the course for life next to a rail line 🥴
Sweden-train-crash-REX.jpg

East bridge span is going in over Bloor soon.

Bloor Street West Full Closure for Bridge Installation-Daily night closures from Monday October 23, 2023 at 21:00 to Saturday October 28, 2023 at 05:00

To complete the bridge installation work, a full closure will be required on Bloor Street West, between St. Helens Avenue and Ruttan Street. Throughout the week, a full road and sidewalk closure will be required from 9 p.m. until 5 a.m. every night starting Monday October 23 and will be completed by Saturday October 28. During the full nightly closures, all traffic lanes and sidewalks will be closed. Closure & detour signs will be posted at nearest signalized intersections well in advance of the work. Paid duty officers will be present at both sides of the closure during the weekend of full closures. Work zone will be fenced off.

I know it's too late but every time I go under the Kitchener GO and Barrie GO trains on Bloor, I wonder why the sidewalks were not expanded to accommodate a grade separated protected bike lane as opposed to having the bike lanes run right beside the cars under the passes. Especially because they just destroyed and rebuilt all of these sidewalks over the last year. Is anyone privy to some hidden logic here that I'm missing?

I know it's too late but every time I go under the Kitchener GO and Barrie GO trains on Bloor, I wonder why the sidewalks were not expanded to accommodate a grade separated protected bike lane as opposed to having the bike lanes run right beside the cars under the passes. Especially because they just destroyed and rebuilt all of these sidewalks over the last year. Is anyone privy to some hidden logic here that I'm missing?
There's a huge cost difference between reconstructing the sidewalks and regrading the entire underpass.

There's a huge cost difference between reconstructing the sidewalks and regrading the entire underpass.
I mean yeah, I suppose cost is always it, isn't it. Didn't they completely tear down the grading of the old sidewalks and then re-pour the concrete? I wasn't suggesting regrading the whole underpass though, just the bike lanes on either side.

I mean yeah, I suppose cost is always it, isn't it. Didn't they completely tear down the grading of the old sidewalks and then re-pour the concrete? I wasn't suggesting regrading the whole underpass though, just the bike lanes on either side.
Redoing the bike lanes would involve redoing the entire structure. The retaining walls are a core part of the structure.

Redoing the bike lanes would involve redoing the entire structure. The retaining walls are a core part of the structure.
Maybe this is demonstrating my complete lack of knowledge in construction and structural engineering.

But why would they have to disrupt the retaining walls to fill in some of the existing road on Bloor Street running underneath the overpass (the part with bike lanes) with concrete up to the level of the sidewalk? I'm not thinking of widening the entire underpass, just of reclaiming some of the space from the road for the sidewalk (and saving that for a new dedicated bike path).

Back